Status
Not open for further replies.

Emy12

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 22, 2011
Hi all,

Here is a HP PC m7000/2gb Ram/Ati video card/Pentium D processor socket 775
This the PC of a friend. Pc keeps turning off/on by itself for ever, he said.
I just got it to have a look. First I cleaned it up. Such dust I have never seen, only from pictures. five years since purchased and never been cleaned.
I checked:
-video card (replaced with one I have) OK
-Removed all other cards - the same problem
- removed all Ram memory- a good working motherboard should do some beeps, this one nothing.
- Attached my AX750 PSU - the same problem
- cleared CMOS , no help
- changed the Hdd, the same problem
The only thing I have not checked is the processor, I have not any to replace it.
This motherboard has a few aluminium capacitors, most of the other are KZG, I think are from 2005, no sure. I did not remove the mainboard to look closer.
The three capacitors beside CPU, are KZG. No sign of leakage. They look perfect.
I think one of the two are the problem; the motherboard or processor. I tend to believe, based on my previous experience with KZG caps, that is motherboard issue
Any help is welcomed.

Thanks

Linuxfever

Jan 11, 2011
When it turns off, can you turn it on immediately or do you have to leave it off for a while?What is activity (running a program, idle etc.) is your friend perfoming when the computer turns off.
Most likely the computer is overheating or a faulty PSU.

Upvote 0

Emy12

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 22, 2011
I can turn on back straight away, but no beeps at all and it turns off itself.
I checked the PSU by tester, all green, though it is cheap 300W PSU OEM. As I said I replaced it with AX750 (removed it from my PC) and the same.
I think it worked clogged with dust and overheat untill the motherboard failed.
I have a motherboard and replaced 6 of KZG capacitors. they started to leak, I could noticed while starting a soft noise.
I will tell him to prepare for an upgrade.

Upvote 0

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
motherboard could be shorting out on a piece of metal or have seen a couple of times the power cord could be bad and is shorting out as well.

Upvote 0

Emy12

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 22, 2011
Yes, it is the motherboard. He decided to leave it the way it is, he is using his laptop instead.
He will get a new PC, but not now.

Upvote 0

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
Emy12 said:
Yes, it is the motherboard. He decided to leave it the way it is, he is using his laptop instead.
He will get a new PC, but not now.

Okey :) if he wants advice he knows how to contact :)

Ivy-bridge and the new 28nm gpu are rounds the corner (amd is already available)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.