HP printer on linux

boredog

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
Hello

A few years ago I installed Kubuntu on my sisters PC. at that time I got help to install the printer from another forum. Since then, Her computer has gotten so slow she is getting ready to stop using it. I have now installed Aardvark and it is fast again. I just can't remember how to install the drivers. I have downloaded the file but from there I am lost. I am not a experienced Linus user. All she uses is Facebook and Hotmail so doesn't need to know much. Any help would be appreciated. I should have taken notes before.

Reactions: shmu26

boredog

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
I'm using official repo when i still using ubuntu. I don't know if it work for you. Here the command that you need to paste in terminal - sudo apt-get install hplip-gui
If it doesn't work, you can use the installer walkthrough from this website - HP printer installer walkthrough

That is how I do it. Only difference is am using a newer version of Kubuntu and a newer version HPLIP file and so I still do not know if it is the newer OS version or the newer printer install file.

Reactions: Ashleyfloyd

AnonMan

Level 2
Verified
Aug 4, 2017
That is how I do it. Only difference is am using a newer version of Kubuntu and a newer version HPLIP file and so I still do not know if it is the newer OS version or the newer printer install file.
If I understand you, you are using kubuntu 17.40/17.10, you will need to have HPLIP ver. 3.17.11. That's the latest version available. Still you can use the command line that i give, it will give the latest version available from the official repositories (3.17.7 ver in kubuntu 17.10).

boredog

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
If I understand you, you are using kubuntu 17.40/17.10, you will need to have HPLIP ver. 3.17.11. That's the latest version available. Still you can use the command line that i give, it will give the latest version available from the official repositories (3.17.7 ver in kubuntu 17.10).
I was using that version but during printer install got warning 3.17 was not for that version but was for the version before it. Tried that and no go. Tried 15.04 and no go. Was going to try 16.04. I think that is the one I got to work before. This morning sis and I decided she could just hook her laptop up to here printer when she needs to print something. I told her I was getting tired of working on that printer and that now days you can buy a refurbished Dell for like 150 bucks and they come with Win 10 Pro.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.