AI Assist https domain certificate fingerprint?

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Question: I went to Gibson research GRC fingerprinting webpage and entered MT website: malwaretips.com and grc says the certificate fingerprint sha1 is
malwaretips.com sni.cloudflaressl.com E5:63:17:24:38:88:A3:4E:55:3E:21:DD:23:00:B4:87:1C:CF:8F:2F
but when I use Edge on the MT main page it is F8 BA 0B B8 4D 51 1A C3 E4 0B 6C 9C E1 FF E1 70 DF 04 AC 9D
they do not match, has this "service" at GRC gone obsolete, ie, is no longer a valid test, or what would explain the non-match.

Reactions: Nevi and vtqhtr413

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
The certificate fingerprints you mentioned are different because they represent different hashing algorithms. The first fingerprint, SHA-1, is considered less secure and is being phased out by most browsers and websites. The second fingerprint, F8 BA 0B B8 4D 51 1A C3 E4 0B 6C 9C E1 FF E1 70 DF 04 AC 9D, represents a different hashing algorithm, such as SHA-256. So, the difference in fingerprints is likely due to the use of different algorithms rather than an issue with GRC's service. It is generally advisable to use more modern and secure hashing algorithms for certificates.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
The certificate fingerprints you mentioned are different because they represent different hashing algorithms. The first fingerprint, SHA-1, is considered less secure and is being phased out by most browsers and websites. The second fingerprint, F8 BA 0B B8 4D 51 1A C3 E4 0B 6C 9C E1 FF E1 70 DF 04 AC 9D, represents a different hashing algorithm, such as SHA-256. So, the difference in fingerprints is likely due to the use of different algorithms rather than an issue with GRC's service. It is generally advisable to use more modern and secure hashing algorithms for certificates.
I think you are incorrect with assertion that they are different hashing algorithms. Both display as sha-1 at GRC and using Edge browser.

• Love
Reactions: Nevi and vtqhtr413

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
I think you are incorrect with assertion that they are different hashing algorithms. Both display as sha-1 at GRC and using Edge browser.
I apologize for the confusion. If both fingerprints are displayed as SHA-1 at GRC and in the Edge browser, then it seems that they are indeed using the same hashing algorithm. In that case, the discrepancy in the fingerprints could be due to a few reasons:

1. Timing: The fingerprints might have been captured at different times, and the server's certificate might have been updated in between.
2. Load balancing: The website might be using multiple servers with different certificates, and the fingerprints were obtained from different servers.
3. Certificate pinning: The website might be using certificate pinning, where specific certificates are expected and any other certificate would raise a security warning.

It would be best to reach out to the website administrator or support team for clarification on the certificate fingerprints and any potential discrepancies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.