Hugo z Hor config

Hugo z Hor

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 8, 2016
My actual config. All suggestions are welcome.

Long time before I used NOD32, but got infection from friend's removable flash. After that I stopped paying for NOD32 and moved to Avast AV free and then 360 TS Essential.

ElectricSheep

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2014
As others have said, I'd bump your UAC to at least default, as it stops you from handing the keys over to your system by undesirables. Malware is like a load of fat kids and you don't want to give them the keys to the sweet shop;)
Also enable the smartscreen:)

Maybe add Emsisoft Emergency Kit as a second opinion scanner as it catches stuff MBAM misses
Emsisoft Emergency Kit Download

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
In both ESET Antivrus & Smart Security the AV has an automatic scan feature on removable devices.
Files that are executed from a removable drive are scanned with advanced Heuristics.If a malware attempted to run and if ESET had a signature to recognize it then it would be blocked.
Whether a friend or family member you should never assume that their removable drive is clean.
I personally like Avast & Windows firewall but your config is good in terms of protection.
However you have way too many extensions in them and it would be beneficial to remove those that are unnecessary.
Thanks for sharing your config :)

Hugo z Hor

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 8, 2016
Thanks.
I know about quantity of my browser extensions. But you know, I am old school man... I get used to some previous browser behaviour, that new version have not (e.g. firefox old theme + configuration mania + extended status bar) or totally missing (e.g. FastDial ...), some are for safety (https everywhere, flashblock), some are utilities (password hasher + exporter ... I dont use cloud backup for browser profiles and some profile AND extra password backup may be useful) ;)
About stability - I have not found any instability or crashing due to any extension (vulnerability is another question, but all my extensions are still maintained or developed by authors).

About Iron ... yes I dont trust to ANY chrome based browser, but Iron and Slimjet are the two of which authors claim that they don't sending data to „uncle google” :)

Hugo z Hor

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 8, 2016
Update:
+ added Zemana Antimalware
- removed some addons from Firefox (Firebug, Youtube flash video player)
? I am thinking about uninstalling Comodo FW and replacing with standard firewall with Windows Firewall control, because I don't need HIPS. I will test it next week.

Reactions: Logethica

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.