I got banned at Comodo :D

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
LaserWraith said:
Um...what? I did post in the off-topic "lounge".

Yes, what I mean is that there is nothing wrong on your post from lounge (off topic) besides other reason why you banned is like bogdan said discussing a moderator decision in the public

eXPerience

Level 1
Mar 7, 2011
I do understand HeffeD's point of view here. I remember that before we took action, most of the times we discussed the situation with other mods before actually locking it.(is that 3 mods rule still in place ?) This was an advantage because the topics are then seen from a different point of view : age, gender, nationality, etc.
Overall, I think there was only 1 mistake here and that is that Kail shouldn't have gone all defensive on Laser, he should have just to motivated why he did that. He could've simply said that the topic was locked, but not deleted (!), because Comodo/the mods :
  • wanted to keep the users informed of what happens in the world
  • wanted to prevent the users of getting into a flame war (in which it would have resulted

then there wouldn't have been any discussion and everyone understood the mods and respected them.

so in the end I agree with as well as the user as the moderator, but it didn't have to end this way...

eXp

ps : the end I guess ?

LaserWraith

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
HeffeD said:
Yes, I know you didn't start that topic. You're just the one that made the post that a moderation decision was funny and that it showed that the Comodo forums are ignoring the real world...

How exactly did you expect that to go over? If your answer is anything other than, not well, I think you're deluding yourself, regardless of the forum you're on.

Then of course, you just continued to stir the pot...

So perhaps instead of complaining about alleged abuse of power from a mod, (and to any others who seem to feel this is also the case) you could take a close look at your actions from a moderators perspective of trying to keep order on the forum. The decision to lock a thread is never made lightly. Mocking the decision to do so is exactly the type of thing that isn't conducive to healthy forum discussion. Maybe ask Jack or Bogdan how well a post of yours would be received that mocked a moderation decision on this forum?

Oh, and did you forget to mention the ban is only temporary? ;)

Users in this forum also initially get temporary bans to get some cool-off time to rethink their posting strategies. I guess the mods here are on a power-trip as well?

"How exactly did you expect that to go over? If your answer is anything other than, not well, I think you're deluding yourself, regardless of the forum you're on."

I thought kail might defend his position, or ignore my post. But once he couldn't come up with any more answers (so it seemed to me), he decided to move the topic and ban me.

I didn't expect kail to ban because someone thought his post was funny.

"Then of course, you just continued to stir the pot..."

And they continued to exercise admirable self-control, right? And nicely replied to my posts? Oh wait...

"So perhaps instead of complaining about alleged abuse of power from a mod, (and to any others who seem to feel this is also the case) you could take a close look at your actions from a moderators perspective of trying to keep order on the forum."

Ok: This guy (who regularly tries to be funny but isn't) comes along. He is probably bored with our forum, since no one really does much interesting in the off-topic board (come to think of it, the rest of the forum is a bit stuffy too). This guy must also wonder why we had to close the topic about Osama's death. So, he posts about the moderator decision. Actually, he does seem to be talking about the post itself (and the mindset behind it) a bit more than the decision, but whatever.

The thing is, he (apparently) couldn't find anything in the forum policy about commenting on a mod's decisions, and I can't either. I did find some other post by a mod mentioning that subject (why is it not in the policy topic? hmm), but it only prohibited starting a new topic. This guy used a current thread.

So...it seems like he thinks my post is funny, eh? He also must think the reason behind it is funny too. I'm not sure if he is really trying to change or protest anything...just seems to be trying hard for something amusing to say.

I argue with him a bit (he must like arguing), and then seize upon the (weak) reason "to give more perspective into the real world" for banning him. Glad that pest is gone...I like our off-topic area nice and dull. Hope he decides not to come back.

So what if I banned him for being amused (though my post was a bit short and could be seen as funny, and the reason behind not discussing politics, etc. is a bit weak)?

"Oh, and did you forget to mention the ban is only temporary? ;)"

I didn't know that. Kail waited quite a while before sending a PM this morning saying that the ban would last for 5 days. No one told me before.

BoXX28 said:
LOL at Comodo for doing that, XD

:p

jamescv7 said:
Yes, what I mean is that there is nothing wrong on your post from lounge (off topic) besides other reason why you banned is like bogdan said discussing a moderator decision in the public

Nothing against that. Just a post that prohibits opening a new topic for that purpose.

eXPerience said:
I do understand HeffeD's point of view here. I remember that before we took action, most of the times we discussed the situation with other mods before actually locking it.(is that 3 mods rule still in place ?) This was an advantage because the topics are then seen from a different point of view : age, gender, nationality, etc.
Overall, I think there was only 1 mistake here and that is that Kail shouldn't have gone all defensive on Laser, he should have just to motivated why he did that. He could've simply said that the topic was locked, but not deleted (!), because Comodo/the mods :
  • wanted to keep the users informed of what happens in the world
  • wanted to prevent the users of getting into a flame war (in which it would have resulted

then there wouldn't have been any discussion and everyone understood the mods and respected them.

so in the end I agree with as well as the user as the moderator, but it didn't have to end this way...

eXp

ps : the end I guess ?

Yes. I was not protesting the decision as much as the post. The post made was amusing to me (in a short, sarcastic way). I also commented on how the Comodo forums doesn't like most real world discussions about governments, cultures, etc.

I think that whole prohibition is a mistake - just let people argue it out nicely, and if one starts insulting the other, then warn or ban that person. HeffeD brought up some point about "multiple cultures", but that would just be an opportunity to debate and see what the others think.

----

BTW, I noticed kail posted this just yesterday:

I object! My government (the UK one) is completely & utterly useless at anything remotely to do with computers.

Jacob, another mod, also said in the same topic:

@ optimizer;

Not True, We americans are pretty ignorant but we aren't that ignorant, Reason i say this because Most of Major Power Facilities are on a Offline Network; not where you can reach from anywhere,

I think things like of that high risk should always be operated by offline network or no network at all

same way with banks....

These are discussing governments (and countries, and cultures) in a negative light. This seems a bit hypocritical - they close a thread because it might cause trouble later on, but they also talk negatively about countries too.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Its topic is about cyber terrorism and yes LaserWraith agree they are discussing about some government.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
I see the vendors forums as a place where you can get support for your problems......and not a place where you can talk about security in general or what;s happening in the world.. :p
What dose kail meant when he said : "none of them ended well" when referring to " real world topics and COMODO Forums"... ?

EDIT : Sorry for the ban Laser....at least you got us :p

LaserWraith

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
jamescv7 said:
Its topic is about cyber terrorism and yes LaserWraith agree they are discussing about some government.

Which, wouldn't you agree, is a bit hypocritical when the mods try and avoid "sensitive" subjects like that? :p

Jack said:
I see the vendors forums as a place where you can get support for your problems......and not a place where you can talk about security in general or what;s happening in the world.. :p
What dose kail meant when he said : "none of them ended well" when referring to " real world topics and COMODO Forums"... ?

EDIT : Sorry for the ban Laser....at least you got us :p

Actually, they do allow talk about security in general. I wish we could talk about real world things too, so I can see what fellow members' opinions are.

"What dose kail meant when he said : "none of them ended well" when referring to " real world topics and COMODO Forums"... ?"

Those were just times the mods closed a topic because it talked about real world subjects. I don't remember them getting out-of-hand....

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.