Battle I need a specific antivirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheSuperGeek

Thread author
I need a free antivirus or an internet security.
I need :
-a very good protection
-to choose if i remove virus or if it's a trusted file (like AHK scripts)
-If it's possible an antivirus with security tools.
Thanks.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Jan 8, 2011
Could you expand on your requirements, they're all very generic.

"Very good protection" against what? A specific type of malware, virus, adware, spyware..?

Most AV software will offer you interactive pop-ups, but may not be default settings. Perhaps security with Behavioural or HIPS, something more talkative will provide a better solution.

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
Ok. What are you thinking of Baidu AV, Lavasoft Ad-axware free and Forticlient ?
Thanks for answers !
Baidu is good but not best choice( those av is better),weak in 0 attack
Ad-Aware has bad detection and heavy( it use bitdefender engine),weak 0 attack.
Forticlient is worst detection+very weak in 0 attack :)
Avast has very good tools, good detection medium in 0 attack.
Avira is very lihgt, very good detection medium in 0 attack
Qihoo has very good detection(3 engine)+strong 0 attack.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hello @TheSuperGeek. Ad-Aware, http://www.lavasoft.com/ some have said, has improved over time. I've used it beside Avast! https://www.avast.com/index but only as a secondary scanner. Framakey can also be scanned using MCShield http://www.mcshield.net/
For those whom might not be familiar, "Framakey is a package of ready-to-use Free Software on your USB FlashDrive.."
The best method would be seeing for yourself what works best with your system.:)

Update: For those whom download a great deal, a good practice is to download from the developers' sites.

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Actually free AV's are really good in matter of detection, just as much as possible be aware of its failure against zero day attacks which rapid delivery of detection is varies + prevalence of file to be analyze.

Some users recommending QIhoo due to its considered to be multi engine so you may consider that as your protection wise choice. ;)

Others you consider for paid like ESET or Kaspersky which you can tweak more that binds to their protection abilities.

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
I feel that the best free all rounded antivirus is Avast. It fits your requirement quite nicely; it has good detection and has the best 0day protection amoung the free antiviruses (except maybe Comodo) with its deepscreen, filerep features. It certainly has quite a few additional tools, however I feel that some of them may not be needed.

Other antiviruses to consider are Bitdefender free and Comodo. Bitdefender free has excellent detection, however it is set and forget and has no additional tools, so you might not like it given your requirements. Comodo has plenty of features and comes with a good firewall, but I personally found it quite buggy.

If you choose either Avast or Bitdefender, you can just use Windows firewall as your firewall.

MikeV

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
I need :
-a very good protection
Thanks.

If you're running a windows x64 OS then the best choices that meets your criteria are:
1) Qihoo 360 Internet Security (dual engine + proactive defense + sandbox)
You can modify alerts to ''ask'' you before removing threats.
2) Avast free.
Avast default settings are not enough in some cases so if you like to use Avast you need to enable PUP detection and of of course enable the ''Hardened Mode'' feature which basically works as a ''default deny'' to non whitelisted programs.
3) Comodo Internet Security -
Comodo weakness is it's AV detection, but Comodo has automatic sandboxing and HIPS (i prefer HIPS) so you can be sure that nothing will pass without your permission.

As second layer of defense (if just an AV is not enough for you)
- XVirus Personal Guard. Please contact http://malwaretips.com/members/dani-santos.23372/
- Crystal Security. Please contact http://malwaretips.com/members/kardo-kristal.24959/

I hope i helped you.....

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Many good suggestions above, nothing left to add!

My favorite AV freebies are;

Comodo (+light, +keeps improving its functionality, cool updates always in works. haven't uninstalled it yet)

Bitdefender (no adds, no slowdowns, no fuss, also improving as time goes, easy uninstall)

Avast (just tried the new 2015 and its overall great! i find it much better then 2013 last I used on the same PC, fairly easy to uninstall)

Least Favorites

AVG - waaay heavy, hard to uninstall, altered PC in strange way.
MSE - too weak, misses too much malware, and plain.
McAfee - too heavy w/firewall, so-so protection, slows down PC.

Haven't tried but would like to someday,

Qihoo 360
Panda
Roboscan
ClamAV

T

TheSuperGeek

Thread author
Ok thanks.
I'll use Qihoo360 Total Security.
I'll test MC Shield, Crystal security and xvirus.
For those whom might not be familiar, "Framakey is a package of ready-to-use Free Softwares on your USB FlashDrive (or any other writable devices.."
The best method, see what works best with your system.:)

Update: For one whom downloads a great deal, a good practice is to download from the developer's site.

1) I update apps of the framakey. I just wan't to scan them before updating for a lot of users. The other problem with framkey's apps is the launchers aren't signed digitaly and AVs detect those as malware.

2)I download for editors website but some softwares installs worms and malware (Like Yet Another Cleaner)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Ok thanks.
I'll use Qihoo360 Total Security.
I'll test MC Shield, Crystal security and xvirus.

1) I update apps of the framakey. I just wan't to scan them before updating for a lot of users. The other problem with framkey's apps is the launchers aren't signed digitaly and AVs detect those as malware.

2)I download for editors website but some softwares installs worms and malware (Like Yet Another Cleaner)

1. *You can additionally scan your app updates with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware www.malwarebytes.org
  2. *Here is an article from Emsisoft about sites that bundle PUPs with software. http://blog.emsisoft.com/2015/02/26...er&utm_content=blog&utm_campaign=ticker150226

Reactions: Bill7
H

hjlbx

Thread author
I need :
-a very good protection
Thanks.

Most AV give you the option to delete or add an app that has been detected to the exclusions/white-list.

Also, you should have no problem with your scripts as most AV only detect if there is a signature.

So unless you are writing malicious scripts and releasing them into the wild - or - copying malicious scripts, there should never be a signature-based detection. The odds of signature detection are virtually non-existent.

Heuristics detection is another matter...

If heuristics detects one of your scripts... which it might depending upon the script and if you set AV heuristics to high... you can exclude/whitelist it in most free AV.

From your OP, I think this is what you were getting at... heuristic detections.

All the earlier free AV recommendations should satisfy your expectations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.