Troubleshoot I ran Malwarebytes and it can't detect weknow.ac in safari or mackeeper in Chrome. Please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Infected operating system
Macos Mojave
Infected device issues
Can't get rid of virus.
Steps taken to remove the infection
Ran malwarebytes but it doesn't detect anything. Says my system is protected.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Hello,
Can you please check if there's an AdminPrefs file on the device. If it's there, you should remove it.

1. Go to System Preferences.
  2. Click Profiles.
  3. The list will include an item “AdminPrefs“. Select this and click the remove “” button in the lower left corner.

Next, for Safari try this:

1. In Safari, choose Preferences from the Safari menu.
  2. In the window that opens, click the General icon (if necessary)
  3. Enter your desired home page in the "Homepage" field, but DO NOT press return!
  4. At the top of the window, click any of the other icons (eg, Tabs, AutoFill, etc).
  5. You may see a prompt asking for confirmation for changing the home page. If so, confirm.
  6. Switch back to the General page and check to make sure the home page has been changed.

To completely remove this browser hijacker from Chrome, we will need to uninstall the browser and delete all data, then reinstall. To do this, delete all of the following items:

Code:
/Applications/Chrome.app

/Library/Application Support/Google/

/Library/Google/

~/Library/Application Support/Google/

~/Library/Google/

~/Library/Preferences/com.google.Chrome.plist

Be aware that this will delete all data for all Google apps you have installed, such as Chrome bookmarks. Export any data you want to keep beforehand.

If you're not sure how to find these folders, choose Go to Folder from the Go menu in the Finder, then paste one of those paths into the window that opens. Be sure to delete the correct item, as deleting the wrong item could cause data loss or even damage to your system or other apps.

After deleting all these files, restart the computer. Then re-download Chrome and reinstall. You will need to import any exported bookmarks or other data, and may need to reinstall any other Google apps that you use.

BernardCozad

Jan 14, 2019
I just downloaded Malware bytes. there wasn't any mb3-setup-consumer-x.x.x.xxxx.exe file in my downloads
I received an error message "This app can't run on your computer." To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.