Troubleshoot I Think I have a Brick!

Redbeard

Thread author
Jan 4, 2014
I have a Toshiba Satellite P205 17.3" laptop. It was running Windows Vista.

The other day I pushed the power button and got fan spinup, a blacked out dispay and nothing else.

The AC indicator stays lit, battery indicator stays lit, hard drive indicator lights for about a second then shuts off, the power indicator flashes orange and blue constantly (2 orange, 1 blue, rinse and repeat)

So far I have cycled the power (removed battery, unplugged, depressed power button for minimum of thirty seconds). I removed and reseated the HDD. Changed out the RAM sticks. Connected to an external display.

I am pretty sure the motherboard is fried but wanted to ask the fine people on Malware Tips if there was any other troubleshooting steps I could take before I scrap it for parts, or if there was another possible explanation for the shenanigans that are happening.

Thank you in advance for input and you guys rock!

I

illumination

Usually the charging power indicator flashing orange, means improper voltage. It could be a sign of a bad battery or that it is improperly seated.. You could try to remove it and place it back in.

Upvote 0
I

illumination

I tried powering it on with and without the battery installed. Also tried a different AC adapter.
If it is not a bad battery, or wrong voltage, chances are you do have a fried MOBO..

When you swapped out the Ram, and HHD, did you use any sort of Anti-Static device? Did you by any chance touch the pins on the Ram?
One last thing you can check, and can be done both with the Ram and HHD, is to pull them, find a regular pencil with an eraser at the end, use the eraser to gently go over the pins, this will deplete any static charge that may have been transferred. Other then this, i would be at a loss as to what it is ,without physically working with the system.. As it seems these suggestions did not help either.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/539567/i-think-i-have-a-brick/

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.