Real-time security
ESET Internet Security
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
Norton Power Eraser, KVRT
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Firefox: Bitwarden, CanvasBlocker, Decentraleyes, Don't track me Google, Enhancer for Youtube, Greasemonkey (with Anti-Adblock Killer and Absolute Enable Right Click & Copy), h264ify, HTTPS Everywhere, Avira Browser Safety, OneTab, Popup Blocker, Reddit Enhancement Suite, uBlock Origin, VTzilla
Maintenance tools
Bleachbit
File and Photo backup
Backblaze
System recovery
N/A

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
I like it.
It is safe to remove Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit because Avast does its job very well.
Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: ravi prakash saini

a1nn

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2017
UPDATE 10/15/2017:
  • Switched from Kaspersky to Trend Micro over rising concerns of the former's alienation with the Russian Government
  • 3rd Party Firewall changed to Windows Firewall (because Trend Micro does not have a built in firewall, it only has a Firewall Booster for WF - which is enabled)
    • Also added Glasswire
  • Removed Zemana as a second-opinion scanner because it took system resources, even when it was not launched
  • Added/changed/removed extensions:
    • Web of Trust to Avast Online Security (over revelations that WOT was selling customer data)
    • Steam Inventory Helper removed (suspicious permissions - see here and here for more information)
    • Kaspersky Protection to Trend Micro Toolbar
    • Added Canvas Defender

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Nice additions to your security!

Zemena doesn't seem to have too big of an impact on my system, but I do agree it does have some impact launched or not.

Smart decision about WOT. I heard rumors of this for a while and took lots of my end users off it - some time ago.

Canvas Defender is a nice add on! I highly recommend it.

Reactions: AlanOstaszewski

a1nn

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2017
UPDATE 11/6/2017:
  • Enpass to bitwarden, because bitwarden is open source and also doesn't charge for the phone app
  • Added ImprovedTube so that I can automatically use all of that 1080p goodness ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Also plan to switch from Chrome to Firefox 57 (when it releases), because I've been experiencing some problems with Chrome as of late. Firefox 57 also claims to be faster and use less RAM then Chrome. (I also trust Mozilla more as a brand)

Reactions: harlan4096

a1nn

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2017
UPDATE 11/9/2017
  • Have switched from Chrome to Firefox Developer Edition
  • Changed some extensions
    • Remove Avast Online Security (because Firefox doesn't have that, also, can I get some recommendations on an alternative?)
    • Replace ImprovedTube with Enhancer For Youtube
    • Replace Canvas Defender with CanvasBlocker (because Canvas Defender causes problems with Gmail)
    • Remove Trend Micro Toolbar (because although they have it, it's not for the latest update and only works for the 32 bit version of Firefox)
    • Added Decentraleyes
  • Finally added some second opinion scanners!
    • Added Norton Power Eraser
    • Added Zemana Anti-Malware (Portable)
    • Added Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool

Last edited:

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
FF Dev edition is indeed more "stable" than current stable version. In terms of extensions, at least the ones I use, they are fully supported.
57 also has a lot of under the hood improvements and I strongly recommend. Only reasons I do not use it on my systems is simply because if something breaks, I have to spend some time to fix it, so I myself am waiting for official 57 release to install it in most of my systems.

NPE ZAM and KVRT are good opinion scanners, but one must ask: how often do you use it? if it is rarely, then keep one. if it is often, then all 3 good enough.

One recommendation if you will in terms of extensions: Don't track me Google <-- use it if you want to bypass the long google link when you search on google and simply copy the link. Not sure if its working for FF dev version but you could try.

a1nn

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2017
UPDATE 12/9/2017:
  • Switch from Trend Micro to ESET Internet Security (for a lighter AV and malicious JS resource detection)
  • Add Zemana Anti-Malware Premium (Pandora Sandboxing enabled) for my laptop
  • Add Cyberreason RansomFree to my desktop
  • Remove Glasswire
  • FDE to standard Firefox
  • Add Tabliss and Don't track me Google

Last edited:

a1nn

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2017
UPDATE 12/24/2017:
Last update of 2017!
  • Added Unchecky and NVT OSArmor to Laptop, just NVT OSA to Desktop
  • Disable accessibility services for Firefox
  • Use Norton ConnectSafe DNS for Laptop

a1nn

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2017
UPDATE:
  • A lot of miscellaneous stuff
  • Some protection removed for the sake of performance
  • Switched to Cloudflare DNS
  • Minor changes to ESET settings:
    • PUA Detection Enabled
    • Potentially Unsafe Application Detection Enabled
    • LiveGrid Enabled
  • Firefox: network.IDN_show_punycode set to true

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
I would suggest re-adding Zemana AntiMalware, if you do not wish to have this program on Startup easiest way would be to go to Task Manager go to Start-up, go down to 'ZAM' right click and click on Disable. This will decrease system start up being slow as Zemana has very high impact on start up.

Maybe look at various threads online about hardening Firefox, I have Quantom myself and have undertaken this.

Other aspects you could change or input:
  • Maybe change default search engine from Google to DuckDuckGo or Startpage
  • Maybe add Macrium Reflect for System Imaging
  • Maybe add Emsisoft Emergency Kit as a second opinion scanner
Hope this helps you!
~LDogg

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.