IDM

• Thread starter Deleted member 2913
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I have installed Internet Download Manager.

I noticed that on IE, to download videos, the file format is mp4 but not mkv, which I guess is correct as Youtube doesn't provide mkv.

But on google chrome, IDM shows file format mkv & no mp4.
And Firefox - mp4, no mkv.

So IE - mp4
& GC - mkv
& FF - mp4
Why no mkv in IE & mp4 on GC & mkv on FF?

marzametal

Level 7
Verified
Jun 10, 2014
I think Google handles Youtube video differently. It downloads video and audio streams separately, then combines them together using codecs. While, IE and FF download the complete file intact. Having said that, I really think it is up to the software package to determine how it handles video extensions.

For example, IDM downloads the file in one attempt, intact, both audio and video. Lets swap over to EagleGet, which downloads video and audio separately, and then requires further steps to combine the two. Also, the other dedicated software apps that were created JUST to download Youtube videos... you will notice they host a long list of video extensions.

Why no mkv in IE & mp4 on GC & mkv on FF? <---- everyone wants to be different mate. If they all did the same thing, from top to bottom, from a to z... would there be more than 3 browsers in the world? Doubt it.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I mean why fdm shows mp4 for 1 browser & mkv for another?
All other download manager & video downloader can show mp4 on all browsers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.