Igorica's config

Igorica

Thread author
Apr 8, 2012
I have some problems with my laptop. It freezes for a 2-3 seconds and that's really annoying. What can I do about it?

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Well as for your realtime protection,
What kind of Avira do you have? (Free, Paid)
What firewall do you use? (Windows,Comodo,Avira(if paid)

As for your problem with your laptop, Post a topic here:
http://malwaretips.com/Forum-Troubleshooting-Software-Hardware-Issues

As for your OS:
I would advise upgrading to Windows 7 as support for XP ends soon.

On Demand:
I would add Hitman Pro

Browsers:
Good but do you use any addons?
If so I would get Ad Block Plus and if you wish, Web of Trust.

URL Filtering:
I would say get AVG Linkscanner as it would help protect you from known Malware sites.
It also comes with DoNotTrack
and a Wifi Guard.

P

Plexx

Is your Avira the free version?

If you want to go the Freeware route, here are some tools to maintain your system:

Antivirus: Avast Free
Web Filter (to further protect alongside with Avast Web Shield): Panda URL Filter (google Panda Toolbar, then install. Once installed, remove it leaving only the filter)
Disk Defrag: Puran Defrag or smart defrag
Backup utility: Paragon Backup & Recovery Free or Macrium Reflect Free
Uninstaller: Revo Uninstaller Free
Registry and Overall cleaner: CCleaner
Registry Defrag (make sure you backup your registry first): Quicksys RegDefrag
Additional On deman scanner: Hitman Pro
System Optimization: Advanced System Care 5 Free
Virtualization: Sandboxie (free) or if you want Bufferzone Pro (free)
Note: Sandboxie optimization tips by Osci:
Minimal settings:
- Sandbox - DefaultBox - Sandbox Settings - Delete - Delete Invocation: check "Automatically delete contents of sandbox"
- Sandbox - DefaultBox - Sandbox Settings - Restrictions - Drop Rights: check "Drop rights from Administrators ..."
More info here: http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?RestrictionsSettings

As for browsing, before I recommend any extensions what browser do you use?

As for your laptop problems itself, I recommend do some clean up, back up all your important data and either Install from fresh or see if after cleaning your system + doing a disk and registry defrag it improves performance.

Also, please post specs of your laptop here.

Finally, welcome to the forums!

Edit: Some of the questions and suggestions overlap the previous post probably because it took me awhile to type all the above :)

Igorica

Thread author
Apr 8, 2012
Thank you guys! Yes, Avira protection is free and firewall is windows firewall. Browser is Mozilla Firefox.
Problems with my laptop started yesterday and I restarted my laptop a few minutes ago and installed windows genuine something (I was getting message to install that all the time when I start my laptop but i didn't do it till now and right now i don't have any problems with freezing or slowness. I don't know if that has something to do with installing that.
I am not sure what I need to do about my configuration, f.e. U gave me instructions for Avast free. Should I remove Avira and then install Avast or what. Is Avast much better protection?
And those others instructions or suggestions, I am not sure what they are actually about. I know that u want to help and thank you for that, but can u be more precise? I am really terrible in stuff like this.
And I don't wanna do any big changes, only want to know if it is something risky in my configuration now, and if it is I wanna change that, f.e. If there is no very big difference in protection between Avira and Avast I don't wanna change that. So, I wanna change only big stuff and some stuff which can make my browsing faster.

House_maniac

Level 1
Sep 21, 2011
yeps avast is better than avira in my opinion,i use comodo internet security suite! if you have a laptop with good specs which could support windows 7 do it you won't regret the upgrade :)

Malware Maniac

Level 1
May 14, 2012
Thank you guys! Yes, Avira protection is free and firewall is windows firewall. Browser is Mozilla Firefox.

You can add that by pressing the edit button in the corner of the post.

Problems with my laptop started yesterday and I restarted my laptop a few minutes ago and installed windows genuine something (I was getting message to install that all the time when I start my laptop but i didn't do it till now and right now i don't have any problems with freezing or slowness. I don't know if that has something to do with installing that.

Commonly Windows XPs are slow. That's why Microsoft releases upgrades so you can be faster. And the Windows Genuine Advantage is so you can get the good products from Microsoft (ie. Windows XP mode, and Microsoft Security Essentials)

I am not sure what I need to do about my configuration, f.e. U gave me instructions for Avast free. Should I remove Avira and then install Avast or what. Is Avast much better protection?

It all depends on your liking you choose whether or not you want avast. If you want to install avast then you need to remove Avira, then download and install avast.

And I don't wanna do any big changes, only want to know if it is something risky in my configuration now,

There are no major problems with you configuration but I recommend Zonealarm or Comodo Free firewall. It's just your choosing.

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Avira is starting to slip in prevention, I would say go for Avast if you wish.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
The best thing that I would recommend to do first is upgrade to Windows 7. You can't really have a backup because it's XP and for an AV, well I would choose Avast.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Its ok to use XP. I dont think Xp tends to be slow. But as XP support ends you better upgrade Igorica. I would suggest you Avast Free AV and ZoneAlarm Free Firewall. This will cause minimal interruptions. As you are beginer do not install Comodo as Defense+ can confuse you. Also if you plan to use XP install all the updates.
If you have the money buy a paid suite like Norton or Kaspersky or Quickheal.
Igorica I want to know whether your xp is genuine or not?. Did u purchase WinXP or was it preinstalled on your laptop? You have to pass the WGA(Windows Genuine Advantage) certification to use Windows updates. If you have a legal copy of XP then contact Microsoft or your Pc maker to resolve issues with WGA.

Malware Maniac

Level 1
May 14, 2012
I noticed seeing a thread on the forums that said that Microsoft was giving XP users two years to upgrade. So you have 'til 2015 maximum.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
On Windows XP likely it isn't supported for dual core processors I think. (AFAIK)

That's why upgrading on the modern OS is a must since everything will be supported even latest one as possible.

P

Plexx

Wonder if OP has sorted out his/her laptop issues and if our suggestions were fine for him/her.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.