In development: Blood Oxygen detection and improved ECG for Apple Watch

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Apple is developing at least two new features focused on health that will expand Apple Watch capabilities in the future. Apple Watch will add the ability to detect blood oxygen levels for the first time, 9to5Mac has learned.
Blood oxygen levels between 95 and 100% are considered healthy; blood oxygen levels below 80% may lead to compromised heart and brain functionality. Risk of respiratory or cardiac arrest is common after continued low blood oxygen saturation.

To that end, Apple is developing a new health notification based on the vital measurement. When Apple Watch detects low blood oxygen saturation below a certain threshold, a notification will trigger alerting the user similar to current heart rate notifications.

Apple is also developing built-in sleep tracking features for a future Sleep app.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Excellent article these features Apple are in the process of adding on could save lives as these warnings about a potential heath issue will give the person advance warning.

What sucks though is that some countries don't get the functionality for god knows what stupid reason. So, I have this 400€ thing that can't do ECG, can't warn me for irregular heart rhythm and I'm pretty sure it won't be allowed to measure and warn oxygen levels. Fun... At least it can measure noise and regular heartbeat ffs... And there is just no info on whose fault it is, country regulators or Apple itself. What I do know is that I can't use those features and it sucks hard.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.