Increase number of threads per process

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hungry Man

Thread author
Jul 21, 2011
HKLM/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Session Manager/Executive

You'll see two entries. AdditionalCriticalWorkerThreads and AdditionalDelayedWorkerThreads.

These two registry values are default 0 and intended mostly for server usage.

Essentially CriticalWorkers threads handle "time critical" tasks and DelayedWorker threads handle not-time critical tasks.

By increasing the values you increase the number of threads dedicated to these tasks. This is helpful for servers, which can make use of these threads without having too big a hit on resources. A high end computer should be able to see the same benefits.

I've never seen any benchmarks though - I'd be interested to.

MS's recommended value for Servers is 10. Perhaps someone here is willing to try and post results for 10, 20, 30, 40 with their computers?

Hungry Man

Thread author
Jul 21, 2011
The default should be 0 and 0 - that's what it was for me and what MS has as the default according to their site.

Currently I think I'm at 30 and 30 just to see if I notice anything. There are significantly more threads than usual but I haven't noticed any changes in performance.

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Try to switch after the long use of your computer, eg 2 hours. May note the differences in non-paged usage, memory use) ..

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
woomera said:
so anyone tried this and noticed any difference?

nopp but we have McLovin and pcjunklist that have servers. pcjunklist surely know what those things means and how to understand them.

I am not sure if my i7-2630qm is a good option even if it would beat some servers cpu

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Valentin N said:
woomera said:
so anyone tried this and noticed any difference?

nopp but we have McLovin and pcjunklist that have servers. pcjunklist surely know what those things means and how to understand them.

I am not sure if my i7-2630qm is a good option even if it would beat some servers cpu

No, I've not tried it either. I will give it ago tomorrow sometime.

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
desktop programs would rarely max out the process max limit. If your running a server with say a large database or a lots of concurrent connections you may hit the max process limit. By modifying the limit your allowing more cpu and ram to be utilized by the program. So say you hit the limit on a server and your at 50% utilization, by increasing the thread limit you could push the 50% to say 70%, which would in return would either increase the amount of connections or speed up the program.

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
@Hungry Man,

NO difference in performance, after change this '..Critical ..' data to 24 ( .. or 34 .. or 0 ..).

So I stay with 4 (original in my PC), and I forgot this.;)

No difference here in: performance, threads of system or some processes, Memory use, non-paged use, nothing changed here.

Maybe you have another tweak - I could try and get the results here if you wish..;)

Hungry Man

Thread author
Jul 21, 2011
pcjunklist said:
desktop programs would rarely max out the process max limit. If your running a server with say a large database or a lots of concurrent connections you may hit the max process limit. By modifying the limit your allowing more cpu and ram to be utilized by the program. So say you hit the limit on a server and your at 50% utilization, by increasing the thread limit you could push the 50% to say 70%, which would in return would either increase the amount of connections or speed up the program.
Emulation like for Wii and PCSX2 would definitely push a lot of CPUs to 70-100% CPU usage.

But I see your point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.