Advice Request install librewolf 106 w/revo, or not!

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
fwiw, I "tried" to install librewolf-106.0.1-1.en-US.win64-setup.exe on win10 using Revo Pro v4.3.1 and it refused to install, ie, its setup did not run in Revo. I have seen this before with some security apps, but I find it curious that a browser would not install with Revo. No pop-ups, no warnings, just nothing...??
(Once upon a time I had a tracking app that you would run before an install, then close, then do the install, then you'd run the tracking app again, it would hopefully list all the changes with system locations) Until I understand why librewolf is "afraid" to be installed with Revo, I'll just hold it for now.

Reactions: Stopspying

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
fwiw, I "tried" to install librewolf-106.0.1-1.en-US.win64-setup.exe on win10 using Revo Pro v4.3.1 and it refused to install, ie, its setup did not run in Revo. I have seen this before with some security apps, but I find it curious that a browser would not install with Revo. No pop-ups, no warnings, just nothing...??
(Once upon a time I had a tracking app that you would run before an install, then close, then do the install, then you'd run the tracking app again, it would hopefully list all the changes with system locations) Until I understand why librewolf is "afraid" to be installed with Revo, I'll just hold it for now.
Interesting, I use LW but haven't used Revo for a while, I started using Hibit Uninstaller instead and haven't had this issue. I'm using the same LW version.

Reactions: simmerskool

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Interesting, I use LW but haven't used Revo for a while, I started using Hibit Uninstaller instead and haven't had this issue. I'm using the same LW version.
Good to know! I'll look up Hibit. (my lic with revo is good into 2024). I have used geek uninstaller but IIRC it only uninstalls.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I used Revo Pro for a long time and really liked it but it seemed to stay very much the same, not much development. Someone here mentioned Hibit some time ago (sorry whovever you were I can't remember). It was being updated very regularly up until this summer. I believe that the last update was in August (not that long ago, but in comparison to the earlier update history it is a long time. It seems to be very stable and has various other uses too.

Reactions: simmerskool

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I used Revo Pro for a long time and really liked it but it seemed to stay very much the same, not much development. Someone here mentioned Hibit some time ago (sorry whovever you were I can't remember). It was being updated very regularly up until this summer. I believe that the last update was in August (not that long ago, but in comparison to the earlier update history it is a long time. It seems to be very stable and has various other uses too.
ok, but description is tad unclear (to me) read about Hitbit both at neowin and majorgeeks, it is only discussed as an uninstaller, but not as install with and track the installation. So is installing apps a feature no one mentions? But it seems like a solid uninstaller.

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
ok, but description is tad unclear (to me) read about Hitbit both at neowin and majorgeeks, it is only discussed as an uninstaller, but not as install with and track the installation. So is installing apps a feature no one mentions? But it seems like a solid uninstaller.
I think it's more of a novelty feature, given the way Windows works, since Windows 8, perhaps Windows 7. There is simply not much use for, nor users for, such a feature. Windows is incorporating more and more in the apps tab within OS settings, and Hibit and every other similar software detects that change.

However, the feature does exist under the tools menu, under the name 'Installation Monitoring'. It just does not provide any bonus with let's say the scan-leftovers feature. Since they practically do the same thing and search for the same files more than often. You can alternatively also just try out the portable variant and go back to Revo, if it doesn't suit your needs.

1666984550888.png

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018

Now that you mentioning it, i have also experienced that sometimes with Revo but not with other uninstallers. So please, do us both, and probably others, a favour and ask Revo as to why that happens.

Because it is most certainly a Revo thing and not an "app thing".

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I think it's more of a novelty feature, given the way Windows works, since Windows 8, perhaps Windows 7. There is simply not much use for, nor users for, such a feature. Windows is incorporating more and more in the apps tab within OS settings, and Hibit and every other similar software detects that change.

However, the feature does exist under the tools menu, under the name 'Installation Monitoring'. It just does not provide any bonus with let's say the scan-leftovers feature. Since they practically do the same thing and search for the same files more than often. You can alternatively also just try out the portable variant and go back to Revo, if it doesn't suit your needs.

Thanks for this! I have DL'd hibit and iobit but installed neither yet. I'm actually trying to unclutter this pc!! :ROFLMAO: Waiting for reply from revo support too since I paid for revo. I like revo in the sense that at least 50% of uninstalls leave something behind even when it tracked the install, but revo clearly lists what it did not remove and that it can be done manually. I think hitbit and iobit probably do the same. I was just surprised librewolf did not install with revo. If I get a good answer, I'll post it.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Now that you mentioning it, i have also experienced that sometimes with Revo but not with other uninstallers. So please, do us both, and probably others, a favour and ask Revo as to why that happens.

Because it is most certainly a Revo thing and not an "app thing".
ok, I did send revo support an email... will update

Reactions: pxxb1

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.