Viking

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
A friend of mine ask me what is the best way of installing the Falls Creators Update from v1703 / 15063.674 via the normal Check For Update method.

She has only Windows Defender and Windows Firewall running on her laptop (security wise).
I know that is is recommended to uninstall 3rd party security suits before installing major Windows Updates, but is it also recommended to disable Windows Defender and disable Windows Firewall as well?

Will disabling them interfere with installing the new anti ransom module that is in the new Windows Defender?

Thanks

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
A friend of mine ask me what is the best way of installing the Falls Creators Update from v1703 / 15063.674 via the normal Check For Update method.

She has only Windows Defender and Windows Firewall running on her laptop (security wise).
I know that is is recommended to uninstall 3rd party security suits before installing major Windows Updates, but is it also recommended to disable Windows Defender and disable Windows Firewall as well?

Will disabling them interfere with installing the new anti ransom module that is in the new Windows Defender?

Thanks
I think you don't have to disable Windows Defender and Windows Firewall.

Windows Defender would just turn on after awhile, anyway. :LOL:

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
I used Windows Update on my laptop today and left Webroot installed, but I did turn off Voodooshield (but left it installed). Everything turned out fine so far.

P.S. I also left Shadow Defender installed and Kerish Doctor. Again, no issues so far.

Same experience here with Norton! I left Shadow Defender, CCleaner, Malwarebytes, VoodooShild (Free) all installed. I did turn off VoodooShield when I performed the update. I wouldn't recommend turning off Windows Firewall nor Windows Defender at all (personally speaking). Turing the firewall and Windows Defender off isn't great as it opens you to a possible attack - granted this would be highly unusual to happen, but still possible.

Transhumana

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
I had issues with updating when I only disabled KIS and VS so I had to uninstall them in order to successfully update to FCU, but as they all previously mentioned, WD and WF are both MS tools so they shouldn't be standing in the way. :)

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
I haven't had any issues updating FC over CU in 3 of my systems (1 of them a virtual machine in VMWare), I just exited Kaspersky from running and run Windows10Upgrade9252.exe... and a bit patient :D

Andytay70

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2015
I have done a clean install and may have found a bug with the new version.
As you can see most of my running processes are duplicated or there 3 times :confused:
Screenshot (1).png

Reactions: frogboy

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I have done a clean install and may have found a bug with the new version.
As you can see most of my running processes are duplicated or there 3 times :confused:View attachment 171387
I don't think that's bug. It's normal for programs to have more than one process. If these processes were duplicates, they would have the same memory usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.