Intel responds to security vulnerability

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Intel has now responded to the issue, saying that it's not exclusive to its products, specifically calling out AMD and ARM Holdings as companies that it's working with to fix the exploit.

Recent reports that these exploits are caused by a “bug” or a “flaw” and are unique to Intel products are incorrect. Based on the analysis to date, many types of computing devices — with many different vendors’ processors and operating systems — are susceptible to these exploits.

While Intel only called out AMD and ARM Holdings by name, it also said that it's working with "several operating system vendors". These operating systems should include Windows, Linux, and macOS, and while macOS and Linux have been patched, Windows should get updates across the board next Tuesday. Intel said that it was planning to announce the vulnerability then.

Tom Lendacky, a software engineer from AMD, has stated that the company's processors aren't affected at all. Of course, Intel didn't specifically say that AMD chips are vulnerable, but we've reached out to the company for a statement.

Intel also took issue with reports that fixes will cause performance issues. The firm said that any performance impact will be "workload-dependent", and that the average consumer won't even notice it. The effect will also be lessened over the course of future updates.

It seems likely that we'll find out more about this next week on Patch Tuesday, and other companies like AMD and Qualcomm are likely to chime in as well.

D

Deleted member 65228

Only time will tell. I don't believe them though right now, we'll soon find out I guess. Too many issues with Intel lately, and with lack of details it is not very nice... I doubt AMD specifications have been caught up in the mess, I recon it is just Intel trying to make their image look more appealing due to the news drama.

They likely want it to stay as quiet as possible because one more issue and that's the nail in the coffin for Intel. Hence why even if all of this is only for Intel and cannot be properly patched without a performance reduction, they're trying to keep a lid on it, maybe even paying people off to keep quiet. Who knows. I certainly don't. Just imaginary wild speculation.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.