Internet providers to begin warning customers who pirate content

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Thread author
Apr 17, 2011
The Center for Copyright Information says a new system will warn users when accounts are used to illegally download content.

It is about to get a bit more difficult to illegally download TV shows, movies or music online.
A new alert system, rolling out over the next two months, will repeatedly warn and possibly punish people violating digital copyrights. The Copyright Alert System was announced last July and has been four years in the making.

If you use AT&T, Cablevision, Comcast, Time Warner, or Verizon as your Internet service provider, you could receive the first of one of these notes starting in the next two months.
The Internet provider is delivering the message, but the legwork is being done by the copyright owners, which will monitor peer-to-peer networks such as BitTorrent.

They use a service called MarkMonitor, which uses a combination of people and automated systems to spot illegal downloading. It will collect the IP addresses of offenders, but no personal information. The IP addresses are turned over to the Internet providers, which will match up the address with the right customer and send the notification.

The warning system is described as a graduated response. First the Internet provider will let the customer know that their Internet connection is being used to download content illegally. The note will include information to steer them away from their life of crime, including tips on how they can download content legally.

Full Story

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Hmmmmm. Time to break out the ol' proxy.

Is viewing with the help of RAM considered downloading? LOL I wonder how it is actually worded in the law book?

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
At the moment it must seem it's happening in the States, but you wait it will hit other countries as well.

D

Deleted member 178

They do that already in France. They focus on very big downloaders. Some were already punished.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Umbra Corp. said:
They do that already in France. They focus on very big downloaders.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
[undefined=undefined]If a customer feels they are being wrongly accused, they can ask for a review, which will cost them $35 according to the Verge.[/undefined]

That was a key bit of the story. 35$ for an appeal?!? That is 5 tickets to the theater. Is this like carbon credits or some BS? The question is....................How many people will be dumb enough to offer 35 dollars because they feel wrongly accused, especially when there are no stiff penalties proposed yet? And even then, for crying out loud. This sounds to me like a Nancy Pelosi/Barbara Boxer stunt; just a sign of the times.

How is there copyright infringement for viewing? I thought it was the redistribution and (or) profiteering that was illegal. I guess they just make a new law to help fatten their pockets.

THE GIST: Don't get the drug user confused with the drug dealer.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
ZOU1 said:
Is viewing with the help of RAM considered downloading?

Of course it is... You'll need to download something for it to be in your RAM.

ZOU1 said:
How is there copyright infringement for viewing?

Because you haven't paid to watch it...

P

Plexx

Copyright infringement on viewing for example via stream shouldnt be considered. It is not the user fault that there are sites allowing stream of copyright content.

User responsible for those? Sure up until an extend. User responsible for downloading from sites that offer copyright infringement material? Sure up until an extend, but then again if Google and other Search engines didn't show the links based on search results, then it is more likely that the user wouldn't stumble across those sites that easily.

So who's fault is it now? Still the user when the database is available? Think they should reconsider and re-draw the plan...

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Biozfear said:
Copyright infringement on viewing for example via stream shouldnt be considered. It is not the user fault that there are sites allowing stream of copyright content.

I think the user is pretty aware of what they're doing. ;)

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Hollywood does give a lot to the DNC. Just a little quid pro quo. That's all.

I was being facetious about the RAM question.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
All of this is per subsection 3945157234905723904570234957902776.253346 of the Patriot Act and subsection 40348505830485083408505.456346 of Obamacare.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
If ABC, NBC and CBS start showing us movies that they don't have the rights to, what then? Punish the viewer? Radio? Punish the listener?

P

Plexx

Those networks wont do it so it is irrelevant that example.

I still believe if you going to punish someone start with the source. sure the user should take some responsibility, but lets be honest, do you really think this will end copy right infringements by punishing the user only?

Then again, censoring such sites, sooner or later every country will end up like China and Korea.

Pointless in my opinion due to the fact that it will not achieve good results at all.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
"Then again, censoring such sites, sooner or later every country will end up like China and Korea."

No doubt. That is where it is headed.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Plus even if all sites have been blocked out there will still be away around them.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
I am glad I have plenty of F-35's flying around my house; hopefully they won't let Obama's drones vaporize my house while I am remotely watching Mad Max II. All I can do is hope. LOL I know they are up there watching movies in their cockpits. It is easy for them to steal wireless.

DiabloBlack

Nov 5, 2011
P2P is hardly the only means to downloading so called illegal content. What exactly do these fools think they will accomplish? This nanny state we are turning into is ridiculous. Is it November 6th yet? :p

If you like the movie buy it :D If you don't like the Hollyweird elite then don't buy it :wacko:

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Did you guys see this :
The Guardian said:
Sheffield student Richard O'Dwyer, 24, faces extradition to the US and up to 10 years in prison for alleged copyright offences after setting up a website with links to TV shows called TVShack.com. Here, he discusses why he set up the site; his arrest and detention; and the battle his family faces to keep him in the UK

Last edited:

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
This is going to get ridiculous.

Imagine this if you will: Some tyrant secretly forces a major TV network to break copyright laws by broadcasting a show they don't have the rights to--200,000,000 people view the channel for at least 5 minutes, or in some cases 20 seconds. Then you have a tyrants dream; 200,000,000 people that are GUILTY and need a feudalist tyrant to set them straight as he and his oligarchy of Tzars sees fit.
Anyone ever heard of Feudalism? It was the medieval religio-political system that controlled the masses, and we are headed that way, FAST.
Tyrants and oligarchs love to have dirt on ALL of their citizens.
This is total BS in these contiguous United States. TOTAL BS.
This is the new "carbon credit". If you happen to view or listen to content that is illegally provided you must pay dearly to your tyrant because he has dirt on you. You know how Cops dress up like prostitutes in the US and entrap "solicitors"? They will do the same with TV, radio and the internet. It is just a matter of time before illegal content is forced onto networks so we cannot help but be GUILTY of viewing it, thus advancing our nanny police state. Be careful of clicking that link on ESPN! It might be a Federal agent, and his illegally downloaded content, posing as the guy in the video that Jack posted. Then you, the "user", get punished the same way the "dealer" is punished. (I guess you could call him a "middle man" though) He will turn informant and get his charges dropped.
Fabian tyranny. That's all.

Edit: Middle man or dealer turned informant = VASSAL
Vassals like to do favors for the State, such as luring everyone into the same kind of trouble they got into. Then they get rewarded by the State for helping to strip their neighbors of basic freedoms and lock them up over virtual reality laws. Unless of course, you want to buy some "carbon credits".

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.