Battle Internet Security Product for a VM in VMWare Player

soccer97

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
May 22, 2014
I created a VM in order to learn more after school so I can have some basic working knowledge of InfoSec trying to get into an entry level job. We learned "The basics" in school, but in general it was mostly an overview or "What can go wrong" and steps to prevent it.

Current platform is Windows 7

I don't have a dedicated PC to use - and I am not into testing heavy duty samples- just basic stuff for now, that's my scope of resources at the moment. 30-60 day trials are fine but I have a partial license left for KIS

Out of F-Secure, Trend Micro, BitDefender what is your personal opinion on protection (or really any free AV) as this will be "Wiped and re-done/reimaged frequently"? I will defer to your judgment.

Priorities:

-Protection - Including avoiding having multiple processes running w/i the security suite which exposes it to more vulns
-Performance: General usability - 2GB of RAM. Reasonable computing. No gaming
-If infected - remediation and logging of "What happened, it's timeline so I can determine:

In the end I would like to have a decent grasp on being able to write a report like one would in a workplace

"What happened, Why it happened, How was it re-mediated and what can be done in the future to prevent it from recurring"

In the coming years I would like to pay it forward once I get experienced.

Please feel free to state your opinion, I will take constructive criticism if that is what is useful.

Reactions: askmark and XhenEd

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.