Question Which AV engine does iolo system shield use?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
They used Malwarebytes some years ago then Malwarebytes found out so they had to stop & as I remembered they used the old F-Prot & developed their own system - In my opinion you can do far better with almost anything than this? Others may feel differently :)

Edit: Got it wrong sorry my apologies it was Iobit not Iolo !

Last edited:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
It uses signatures from Cyren and has abysmal detection rates. I highly recommend avoiding this. Not only has it not received any program updates since 2017, but the version you can download from Iolo's website was released in 2015. It appears that you can't download the more recent version anywhere. It's listed on Softpedia, but since in this case they just link to Iolo for the download, you get the old version.

They used Malwarebytes some years ago then Malwarebytes found out so they had to stop
No, that was IObit, not Iolo.

Popolitus

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 7, 2014
If u have a valid license for systemshield, u can download system mechanic ultimate trial, and use your systemshield key, so that way u get the newest version ( that was told by their support team) , but as far i can tell its only a new UI, the rest is the same from 2015 version.

Harputlu

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 26, 2016
If u have a valid license for systemshield, u can download system mechanic ultimate trial, and use your systemshield key, so that way u get the newest version ( that was told by their support team) , but as far i can tell its only a new UI, the rest is the same from 2015 version.
I have a ultimate licence key . is there any innovation other than the interface?

Harputlu

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 26, 2016
regarding the antivirus, dont think so..only UI
They added a lot of things to the program with the update coming in February.

What's new in System Mechanic Pro 21.0.1.46​

February 26, 2021
  • Change Info:
  • An advanced Network Scanner
  • New Process Scanner
  • Enhanced AV Protection
  • AI-based threat detection
  • Anti-Fingerprinting
  • Secure Browsing
  • Streamlined installation flow
  • Clean and simplified dashboard
  • In-product tutorials

latest version of the program: 21.3.0.12

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I just did that. The new version has better (but still terrible) detection rates, although it is still using Cyren signatures.

Popolitus

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 7, 2014
Iolo system shield, now uses avira engine

1695926117786.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.