iPhone managed by 3rd party.

Cleo

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 25, 2020
Hi,
Last September someone gifted my mother a spare iPhone 11 pro from their work. It has an installed supervision profile from that person's work.
I asked them to remove it from the program and they said okay but it was set to only control 4 "in house apps" that she'd never use. When I went to visit my mother
recently I noticed that the profile was still installed and was now doing full management including side loading more apps and
blocking random websites and apps such as those they might not want employees using - duckduckgo was blocked for example.

Can we remove or disable this remote supervision feature?

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
It's their company, if your mom use an iPhone who gifted her as work things yea its the rules, and you can ask mom's someone who gifted her that you can guys talk why not remove the mode and the profile..

For more information

Upvote 0

Cleo

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 25, 2020
It's their company, if your mom use an iPhone who gifted her as work things yea its the rules, and you can ask mom's someone who gifted her that you can guys talk why not remove the mode and the profile..

For more information
That's the same conclusion we have reached. It was weird for what was a birthday gift.

Upvote 0

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
That's the same conclusion we have reached. It was weird for what was a birthday gift.
Birthday gift? that's a bad idea i give it back to him/her if she were me because i don't trust it

Identify a supervised device​

To determine if a device is supervised, check the lock screen or About page:
  • On the device's lock screen, it will say This iPhone is managed by "Company Name".
  • On the device's About page, it will say This iPhone is supervised. Company name can monitor your Internet traffic and locate this device.

• Applause
Reactions: Cleo and dinosaur07
Upvote 0

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
Sounds like this is a "supervised device" (which Apple also calls the Device Enrollment Program). Such devices are marked by serial number as "owned" by an enterprise, so every time you erase and re-activate the device, it becomes re-supervised. This is really only meant for devices owned by a company or school, not for BYOD sort of use cases... it's unfortunate that some companies do this.

Long story short, the only way to resolve this is to ask the company to un-enroll the device. It's a feature that there's no way as an end user to remove this mode.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.