Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sk3llgamerZDay

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2014
I want to hear your thoughts if antivirus is still needed. I plan on using MBAM to scan my pc every month but I want to hear your opinons! so I'll provide a template and we'll see how this topic progresses.

Template:
- What do you use as your antivirus?
- Do you use software like Malwarebytes for scanning purposes only?
- Do you use antivirus at all? (Yes/No)
---
I hope I get to hear from ya'll soon and hopefully I'll see the results soon. C: Peace! - Flames

Poll casted until 12/6/14! - Enjoy!

Reactions: Sr. Normal

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Of course! MBAM provides good cleaning of only detected malware. But its detection rates aren't really high, for it is designed only to supplement AVs.

1. ESET
2. No, I use Emsisoft Emergency Kit - higher detection rates. But MBAM provides better cleaning of detected malware.
3. Yes, I always use AV

sk3llgamerZDay

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2014
Nice to hear great feedback! Feels good after a day of stressful situations at school lol. Thanks everybody!

Rahadian Putra

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 28, 2014
Even you are an advanced user who always carefully clicking anything, and always checking anything before downloading files from internet, or even you always scan your downloaded files on VT or another similar service, doesn't mean you don't need real time protection in my opinion, yes I know it's probably useless to use an Av in real time if we can avoid infection and know how to stay safe and always playing in the safe zone, but again that doesn't mean we don't need it at all. Its sounds like...even we live on the very secure state/place with almost zero criminal chance, doesn't mean we don't need to lock our door before we go to bed, because bad guys always exist, and they always lurking around to find a chance :rolleyes:. Also...sometime criminal doesn't triggered by their own will..sometime when they had a chance :p

1. Norton
2. Yes I do, I scan my Pc every week with MBAM
3. Definitely yes

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Its a yes but primarily depends on user preferences since if dealing on just browsing without downloading a lot of stuffs + common sense then use traditional AV.

1) Windows Defender built in (Windows 8.1) with McShield for USB realtime protection since it saves a lot from inserting any usb to my system.

2) ESET online scanner and Hitman Pro

3) Yes for unexpected attacks like infected USB.

rocker_geek

Level 1
Oct 23, 2014
1. Yes, Avast! on main computer, AVG Internet Security on the gaming one.
2. Sometimes, especially when I think there is a chance I may have been infected. I primarily use MBAM, but one time I was really unsure so I downloaded Sophos and Kaspersky virus removal tools.
3. Yes, you definitely do need an antivirus. No matter how careful you are there is a chance you will click on a malicious link or put in a USB stick from a PC illiterate. Avast has certainly prevented many infections for me in the past years. At the very least use a free one.

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
Strictly speaking you don`t need an AV running providing that you have some other type of realtime protection installed. This could a HIPS,
BB or some kind of sandboxing program.

Downloading from"good" sites and an on demand scanner(s) would also help to keep things tickety boo.Not to forget VirusTotal for anything suspicious.

I ran AV free for nearly a year but only went back to an AV when I realised that providing it used little resources then why the hell not ?

Currently using Sandboxie, Spyware Terminator HIPS and Unthreat AV.On demand HMP,EEK and MBAM.

Regards Eck:)

NullPointerException

Level 12
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
I am a computer scientist and I've been since a decade. I shriek whenever I think about going online without at least ESET...I've Emsisoft Anti-Malware and other bunch of stuff. But most of my security is handled by my AV (ESS). Some maladvertisements are bad for browsers, so I've various plug-ins to protect me. It's a common, somewhat uneducated, opinion floating over the Not-So-Moderated-and-Maintained part of the Internet, that we don't need AVs.

Below is a list of some staff members that might agree with me.
@Malware1
@Umbra Polaris
@MalwareHunter

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
Sandbox your browser and you will never have to shriek again.

Regular users will always need an AV but more informed users can utilise non AV components to totally protect their systems if they want to.

CFW is more than able to protect a system but then again why not install the AV as well ? Point being it`s possible to get by without an AV just depends what your comforable with.

Ergo you dont strictly need an AV as such but you do need some sort of realtime protection.

Regards Eck:)

S

Sr. Normal

Hello everyone
@sk3llgamerZDay I think a good idea is to invite us to participate.

1.- Qihoo 360 TS

2.- MBAM

3.- Yes, of course.

If these issues would have done in other forum , you would get a greater number of " No, I do not need AV" , but I think here we all like AVs , firewalls , anti malware ....

Have a good day everyone

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.