Is cryptocurrency mining malware the new adware?

Do you use cryptocurrencies?

• Yes

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • No

Votes: 20 95.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
No matter what critics say, it’s clear we’re in the midst of a digital gold rush.

Many cryptocurrencies have exploded in value in recent months; Ethereum, for instance, skyrocketed from $8 at the start of 2017 to $289 at the time of writing, while Litecoin’s value grew from $4 to $50 across the same time period. The total market capitalization of cryptocurrencies jumped to almost $180 bn from $19 bn in only 8 months!

cryptcurrency-market-cap-730x307.png

Of course, it’s not only tech-savvy investors who are enjoying the frothy conditions. The lively crypto market has naturally drawn the attention of cybercriminals and hackers, but it’s also attracting crafty website operators who are using sneaky code to turn website visitors into cryptocurrency miners without their consent.

The latter activity raises all sorts of interesting questions. Should in-browser mining be considered criminal activity? Is it simply the next step in the evolution of adware? Or could it be a legitimate way for developers to finance free software?

Is cryptocurrency mining malware the new adware?

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
I have no problem with sites that give you control if you want it on or off and how much cpu is uses while i get a benefit from their site if i mine. Would i even do it on my pc for any website? No but some people apparently would.

I have crypto but i don't mine.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
I have no problem with sites that give you control if you want it on or off and how much cpu is uses while i get a benefit from their site if i mine. Would i even do it on my pc for any website? No but some people apparently would.

I have crypto but i don't mine.

"i get a benefit from their site if i mine" I remember hearing certain things with benefits being talked about I can't seem to find that discussion anywhere on the fourm. I am curious maybe some examples that do the cpu usage and you get stuff for doing it. Maybe some examples of such?

As for cryptocurrency being the new adware I agree with such. :)

Reactions: frogboy
L

Local Host

Thread author
We'll have Mine-Blockers on top of Ad-Blockers in no time, there's already filters available to block this malicious attempts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.