Is Facebook Spying on you? yes, just not how you might Think.

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011

I have not seen or reading these reddit topics, thank you!
Yes it's from France, but 'There are much worse countries that you could be in (I happen to be in one of them) than France when it comes to privacy and freedom of speech. My country has no active Tor nodes and I've seen more than a dozen unique nodes from France and Germany.'

- so I prefer to believe Qwant's privacy page, anyway...

Thanks to your links I discovered new privacy search engine, FINDX : findx - by Privacore.. 'No tracking. Transparent algorithms. Independent. EU-based.'
On their page, 'Privacy Policy' link, they publish the 'Privacy Promise':
'We promise never to collect any personal information about your behaviour or choices when you use any Privacore service or product.' : Privacy Promise | Privacore

Thank you, HarborFront!:)

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I've had several 'strange' events regarding facebook (mobile) in the last 3 weeks..

1) I was in a closed door, private meeting with 3 people. A conversation about Bulletin Board Systems (BBS) came up and two of us had a good time talking about our BBS days.. This was the first time in 20 years I have talked about BBS's. Conversation ended, life moved on.. Later when I got HOME, I started getting 'suggestions' for BBS groups on Facebook!! (BIG WTF)
2) A buddy told me he felt facebook was siphoning chat in realtime and wanted to test something. So we both chatted in facebook chat for 60 seconds about "Ford Fusion" cars. Within 3 hours we BOTH started getting recommendations for Ford Fusions, local Ford Fusion sales, etc.
3) A security engineer friend told me he suspects some sort of mass surveillance was turned on through facebook recently, and said he had some evidence of it but was doing more testing.

Then today, a person claiming to be a facebook engineer reached out to me on a secure communication channel and said he felt like I should know how 'they' do it, so maybe people can start looking in the right direction to find how more about what they are going here is what he sent:

There are several ways facebook gets around permissions from the main app. Facebook, the app, is only one part of it. It has other services which have its own permission, but you can't see them and depending on the phone they are system permission level service apps. Play store technically pre-approves the permission for those, otherwise even push notifications wouldn't work and that is the key, burying the surveillance within the pre-approved service apps. This includes access to the microphone API regardless of Google claiming this is more secure. Facebook themselves never get the raw audio, the app/service merely transcodes it into code (think of a tag cloud), and can't be reversed back into raw audio but the transcribed code is compressed and hidden behind service pushes. The primary purpose of it as disclosed internally, is for listening and identifying what is playing on a TV, radio, etc. The assumption is that surveillance is also one of the purposes.

Thoughts?

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Well it seems that Facebook do listen.
Is Facebook Secretly Listening to You to Target Ads?

But, I've never seen anything like that happen personally.

On my Android phone, I have denied Facebook permission to access the microphone, camera and my location. I have configured my phone to ask for my permission if Messenger wants to access the microphone or camera.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Well it seems that Facebook do listen.
Is Facebook Secretly Listening to You to Target Ads?

But, I've never seen anything like that happen personally.

On my Android phone, I have denied Facebook permission to access the microphone, camera and my location. I have configured my phone to ask for my permission if Messenger wants to access the microphone or camera.

According to this engineer, they bypass primary app permissions and utilize system processes with pre-approved permissions to access your microphone/camera. At least that is what I gather from what he told me. "burying the surveillance within the pre-approved service apps"

So even with Facebook permissions disabled, there are pre-approved apps with permission to bypass your disabling.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.