Advice Request Is HDDscan a virus/trojan? (Solved)

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbbrwck

Thread author
Mar 2, 2017
Hi

I downloaded HDDscan (zip file). I scanned it, with VirusTotal. All clear.

I read, online, all I could about HDDscan. The reviews were generally positive.

I also came across websites which describe it, in some detail, as a virus/trojan.

Is it safe to install?

In advance, thank you very much for your help.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
I read, online, all I could about HDDscan. The reviews were generally positive.
I also came across websites which describe it, in some detail, as a virus/trojan.
Which website? Could you please mention?
Here's what you need to know: some heuristics can flag it unsafe as it performs some low-level operations - directly accesses and runs tests on the blocks of Harddisk sectors, that being one of HDDscan's functions.
Such low-level activities from unknown programs can trigger False alerts by some Antivirus programs when RUNNING the file.
So those reviews about trojans can very well be false positives.

I tried it this month and even I was sceptical about it.
VT - all clean. The site had some 169K visits last month.
The interface was unintuitive and the results were blazing fast (that hinted towards a possible rougeware).
I've sent the entire zip to Avast (a week back) for analysis and I'm yet to get a reply.
I then decided to send the file to Valkyrie (Comodo) for cloud analysis and it immediately showed that the software is TRUSTED.
It should be safe (I await some results though).

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
More details would be appreciated, as we cannot view your browsing history. Please share the URLs of the Download site, Reviews and other information it being a Virus/Trojan or Rogue application.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
@jbbrwck yes please share the download site and more file details.
@Spawn I believe he's referring to this URL product. This is the official link.
If he's downloaded from some unofficial or unknown website, that might turn to be a risky case.

Reactions: Winter Soldier

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
If you have downloaded the file from here: HDDScan – Free HDD Test Diagnostics Software with RAID and USB Flash support then it is clean.

The situation that it can be infected can be different, by reading on the internet.
From the little info you have provided, I can think that some websites offer built-in statements to advertise products of questionable utility about the real facts.

Reactions: Parsh and roger_m

jbbrwck

Thread author
Mar 2, 2017
Hi

Thanks for your replies

You're right. Here are two of the articles.

HDD Scan - Virus Solution and Removal
<link removed>

I saw them when I Googled HDDscan virus

Should I ignore them, and install HDDscan?

Thank you very much for your assistance

Last edited by a moderator:

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
HDDScan is safe, but there was at one point a rouge called HDD Scan, which is a completely different product.
Thanks for the info, rogueware are not uncommon and downloading from untrusted or non-reputed sites can be disastrous. Those are generally the source.
UPDATE: @jbbrwck if you've downloaded it from www.hddscan.com, it should be trustable. Check some stats below
Screenshot (54).png Screenshot (53).png
100,000+ Kaspersky users have trusted it. Comodo too has placed it there.

jbbrwck

Thread author
Mar 2, 2017
Thanks for your help

I got HDDscan from its actual homepage, and VirusTotal says it's clean.

But, right now, on one of my computers, I've installed it, but the antivirus won't let HDDscan open, not for love nor for money.

Could it be what you guys call a false positive?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
But, right now, on one of my computers, the antivirus won't let HDDscan install, not for love nor for money.

Could it be what you guys call a false positive?
Post a screenshot.

What OS and Antivirus are you running?
Can you add it to the Exclusions and re-run the software?

Reactions: jbbrwck

jbbrwck

Thread author
Mar 2, 2017
I've edited my post but you guys are quicker than my Edits.

I've installed it, but the antivirus won't let HDDscan open, not for love nor for money.

Windows 8.1 and Panda

Thank you

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
I've installed it, but the antivirus won't let HDDscan open
Does your AV alert something or you're just assuming it as being blocked by your AV?
Please post a screenshot of whatever alert your AV shows when you try to run the file (or of the quarantine/virus chest).
That way we'll get an idea as to what's actually happening.
And as @Spawn said, try adding it to your AV's exclusions.

Last edited:

jbbrwck

Thread author
Mar 2, 2017
Sorry for the delay.

Now, it doesn't even get to the point of being blocked by the antivirus. Before it gets to the antivirus, it first gets blocked by VoodooShield.

When I try to upload the screenshot, a message says that the file is too large.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Sorry for the delay.

Now, it doesn't even get to the point of being blocked by the antivirus. Before it gets to the antivirus, it first gets blocked by VoodooShield.

When I try to upload the screenshot, a message says that the file is too large.

Please open a new thread under VoodooShield

Make sure to crop and save your images as .jpg for a smaller file size, or use an online image hosting website and apply the BB codes in your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.