Advice Request Is it dangerous to add extensions to Kaspersky' Secure Banking Browser ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello,
I have started using Kaspersky Internet Security 2017 since 2 weeks because of issues with Avast.
And the first questions are already there;)
When I go on a bank site, Kaspersky opens it on the protected browser.
I would like to know if it is dangerous for the security to add extensions (µBlock, LastPass and Kaspersky Protection) to this protected browser, like on my current browser (Chrome) ?
Thanks for your opinions.

Reactions: Deleted member 2913

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Can you add extensions to Kaspersky's Secure Browser, because in Avast's SafeZone browser you cannot.

LastPass and uBlock are reputable and trusted by millions, it would an issue if you used some spying-extension or something that intercepted HTTPS traffic.

Reactions: shukla44 and JB007

The whole point of using a protected browser is to protect data. Installing extensions creates a risk of data being exfiltrated out of the browser by an extension or the creation of a vulnerability. I can't imagine that Kaspersky would permit the install of any 3rd-party extensions into its hardened browser.

Last edited by a moderator:

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
The whole point of using a protected browser is to protect data. Installing extensions creates a risk of data being exfiltrated out of the browser by an extension or the creation of a vulnerability. I can't imagine that Kaspersky would permit the install of any 3rd-party extensions into its hardened browser.
Yes Kaspersky Allows it !
KISbank1.PNG

insanity

Level 5
Verified
Oct 9, 2016
It's not dangerous to install these extensions (uBlock, Lastpass) but at least it is not advisable. Usually, this safe browser is intended for accessing your bank accounts and not for your usual internet browsing. They are supposed to provide a safer environment and every time you install an add-on you may be introducing a risk (albeit low) that some extension compromise your safety.

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
And what happens when you navigate to a SafeMoney defined website ? Are those extensions disabled ?

No, extensions are enabled no matter what site you go to using Safe Money.

I used Safe Money with Kaspersky Password Manager (requires extension) and Ublock Origin (probably not needed since Safe Money works only on secure sites...but I use it anyway).

I much prefer having the capability to add extensions, otherwise I wouldn't be able to use passwords managers (without password managers in hardened browsers, what the point of using it if you use password managers, ex: LastPass, Kaspersky Password Manager, Dashlane, etc).

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Yes, Safe Money allows install inside the sandboxed instance extensions, but I would not do it... as @Lockdown said in post #4... the only I would allow probably would Kaspersky PassWord Manager extension...

Yes, Safe Money allows install inside the sandboxed instance extensions, but I would not do it... as @Lockdown said in post #4... the only I would allow probably would Kaspersky PassWord Manager extension...

This all illustrates an example of "The security soft publisher allows it, so it has to be safe to do it."

"Safe" extensions might introduce vulnerabilities. It's not unheard of. This was the case within the past year - but I just can't remember which extensions. I think it involved Firefox.

Research it to be fully informed.

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
This all illustrates an example of "The security soft publisher allows it, so it has to be safe to do it."

"Safe" extensions might introduce vulnerabilities. It's not unheard of. This was the case within the past year - but I just can't remember which extensions. I think it involved Firefox.

Research it to be fully informed.

I think it's all about statistical probability. The chances of something like that happening is pretty low compared to other risks.

Sort of like someone declining meteor insurance on their home. Sure a meteor could strike your home, but the probability of it happening is last on the long list of risks.

P.S. I see what your saying though.

Reactions: JB007 and shukla44

I think it's all about statistical probability. The chances of something like that happening is pretty low compared to other risks.

Sort of like someone declining meteor insurance on their home. Sure a meteor could strike your home, but the probability of it happening is last on the long list of risks.

P.S. I see what your saying though.

Yes, I get that a fully aware user can decide for themselves what degree of risk they are willing to assume. That's not the case for someone who wouldn't even know to think about it. I also know how this sort of thing can turn out. Some researcher will discover an extension related vulnerability that manages to do this or that to this or that browser despite using Safe Money, resulting in things gone terribly wrong and decry Kaspersky as a screw-up. At the same time, Google - despite its best efforts - has had a hard time keeping malicious browser extensions off their site.

Last edited by a moderator:

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
Yes, I get that a fully aware user can decide for themselves what degree of risk they are willing to assume. That's not the case for someone who wouldn't even know to think about it. I also know how this sort of thing can turn out. Some researcher will discover an extension related vulnerability that manages to do this or that to this or that browser despite using Safe Money, resulting in things gone terribly wrong and decry Kaspersky as a screw-up. At the same time, Google - despite its best efforts - has had a hard time keeping malicious browser extensions off their site.

I see what your saying, but like I said...I don't see extensions on hardened browsers being a high risk for either a skilled IT guy or average joe. For one, you have to manually install all extensions you want on Kaspersky's Safe Money (extensions don't transfer over from Chrome). Most average Joes will not purposely install new extensions on Safe Money, unless they need something very convenient and necessary such as a password manager.

My point was: OP, it's not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. If we were that concerned with security intricacies, we should all be tech free or using some weird secure distro of linux on a daily basis instead of Windows...but even both of those could be debatable as being insecure in some hypothetical or rare fashion.

Last edited:

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
Yes, i agree with the statement that installing extensions in protected browser might cause some security issues.
Personally, i have only 2 addons (i use firefox) in protected browser - Kaspersky Protection & HTTPS Everywhere. All the plugins are disabled.
I don't have an ad-blocker 'cause i only use protected browser for banking & shopping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.