Advice Request Is Java JRE a security risk?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Java is always a security risk, but like @SecureKongo posted its risks can be mitigated and my advise is to always avoid opening JAR files.

Unfortunately the solution of not installing Java isnt a solution at all, there are many applications that need it to properly run, in my case my career as a lawyer depends on it (the A3 digital certificate that we need to confirm our identity uses Java).

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
@The Cog in the Machine
It's a security risk? If a hacker can get an access to your company lan, he can use installed JAVA binaries to make some nasty things. Which comes to mind to not use Visual Studio code aka vbs and so on, which are sure allowed in a corporate networks.
In the end if a hacker wants to reach his goal he will find ways with and without Java. A targeted attack on Java vulnerabilities however can significantly get mitigated by disabling the Java plugin within browsers and not opening JAR files as @Nightwalker stated above. Taking those precautions will make Java not much less insecure than other wide spread code. Not using it isn't an option for a majority of people.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Thank you all for your help and advice. I am still using Mendeley and, unfortunately, their Desktop version, which supports LibreOffice, rarely receives updates and it will not receive any new features. They developed a new version, Mendeley Reference Manager, which does not support LibreOffice.
Zotero does support LibreOffice, but it did not work on my system for I do not have Java installed. Now my question is, and I know you might not have an answer for it, does Mendeley require Java too, but Java is embedded in their installer? What if I migrate to Zotero and install Java JRE 8 and install OS Armor (I am using McAfee and F-secure on my systems and OS Armor seems to play well with the two solutions)?

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
After doing some research, Mendeley extension is written in python, so it is the better option here from a security point of view, right?

L

Local Host

@The Cog in the Machine
It's a security risk? If a hacker can get an access to your company lan, he can use installed JAVA binaries to make some nasty things. Which comes to mind to not use Visual Studio code aka vbs and so on, which are sure allowed in a corporate networks.
I wonder why people are confusing Java with Javascript and Visual Studio Code with VBS.

They both don't rely on either to run, and use different languages, scripts.
After doing some research, Mendeley extension is written in python, so it is the better option here from a security point of view, right?
Yes Python is more secure than Java, and contrary to Java, Python is a language developers actually like.

Java is pretty much the black sheep every good developer hates.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.