Question Is there any Benefit of using Windows Store Apps like LinkedIn over just using it in Web Browser?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

lokamoka820

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 1, 2024
Is there any benefit of using Windows store apps like LinkedIn over just using it in web browser?

I'm asking from a privacy and security perspective.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Apr 21, 2016
Yes, there are benefits. Store apps are sandboxed, meaning they're isolated from other apps and processes on your system, which can improve security. They also undergo security checks by Microsoft before being published. However, both apps and browsers have potential privacy issues, so it's crucial to check the privacy settings and permissions.

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
It depends if their Microsoft Store app is a wrapper for the Web version, or a custom app for Windows.

Browsers can provide more privacy protection such as blocking ads and trackers, with the appropriate extensions installed.

Browsers, on supported sites, can install Web apps to the desktop.

Upvote 0

Marko :)

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I always prefer to use web apps if it's possible just for privacy reasons. I don't trust apps, especially on Windows, where they can freely browse entire drive and look at things they shouldn't have access to.

The only exceptions to this rule are free and open source apps, and apps which have more features than the counterpart web app.

• Thanks
Reactions: lokamoka820
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.