Advice Request Is VPN a requirement for security in 2023?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Times have changed. All major tech including Apple, Microsoft, Google, Mozilla, Opera, Brave and others have all began to integrate VPN/proxy services in their products/subscriptions models.

I have known about proton VPN, but its pretty costly for me, in India. I have seen VPNs increasing price based on country.
Proton VPN is free.

If the limitations in the free version do not meet your security requirements, have a look at their cheaper competitors such as NordVPN. For example, NordVPN's most basic package includes ad, tracker and malware protection, for half the cost of Proton VPN's basic package.

If no-log policy is critical, check independent audits, reviews and verifiable news sources.

A VPN is useless if :

- You surf the Internet on known sites
- You do not travel
- Your country does not censor
Using a VPN at home (under "I do not travel") can circumnavigate geo-restricted sites and content, provide extra device security (if included), and peace of mind knowing you're getting your moneys-worth whilst not travelling or using other public networks.

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
Ahh I have no idea what Proton direct is actually....sorry about that. Could you let me know me what it is and how to use it...?
I mean, you have to approach Proton 'directly'... not through a third party.

Here is a link. Whether its safe for you to use depends on your local situation. I have no idea I'm afraid.

Reactions: Sorrento

SohanRay

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 19, 2022
I mean, you have to approach Proton 'directly'... not through a third party.

Here is a link. Whether its safe for you to use depends on your local situation. I have no idea I'm afraid.
So are you saying like if I approach Proton directly they'll offer me some free plan that they don't offer otherwise?

Reactions: Sorrento

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
So are you saying like if I approach Proton directly they'll offer me some free plan that they don't offer otherwise?

Go here to get Proton VPN free. Windscribe also has a free VPN

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
No.

I'm saying you can sign-up with Proton for a free VPN and Email service, just like everybody else in the World. All your internet activity and emails would, I imagine, be more private and secure than through Government approved ISP's in India.

Best of luck.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
And I need an Indian IP or else banking and all won't work.
This will be hard, a lot of the top tier Vpn's removed India servers because of new laws. You have to do your research and find out if the Vpn server is actually located in India and not in Singapore or Malaysa because in the past a lot of regional Vpn's in your area masked IPs from India but the actual server was located in Singapore.

If you need Indian IP for banking, you could always setup a cheap VPS and setup OpenVpn or Wireguard. Not ideal but may be your best shot if you really need Indian IP.. Also, you could buy a anonymous Indian 4G sim and use that for Banking on a phone or pair it to a laptop as a Wireless Hotspot.

franz

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
I will clarify that.

A VPN is important if :

A Proven Record Of Protecting Privacy​

PIA’s No-Logs Policy has been repeatedly confirmed in court. When authorities request data about our customers, we can’t provide it because we simply don’t have it — a fact that we’ve testified to multiple times in a court of law.
  • According to the evidence submitted in a local hacking case in San Jose, VPN PIA has a strict 'no-logging' policy.
  • This is the second time PIA had to prove their mettle in a federal court, and this is their second consecutive win.
  • VPNs, including PIA, evidently do not store the logs of users' internet activities.

A hacking trial in San Jose Federal court has done it again for VPN provider Private Internet Access (PIA). The case has proved that online activities cannot be linked with user’s identity if the user was on a VPN, which in this case was PIA. This is the second time any such claim has come forward against PIA.

I feel safe with PIA.

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021

A Proven Record Of Protecting Privacy​

PIA’s No-Logs Policy has been repeatedly confirmed in court. When authorities request data about our customers, we can’t provide it because we simply don’t have it — a fact that we’ve testified to multiple times in a court of law.
  • According to the evidence submitted in a local hacking case in San Jose, VPN PIA has a strict 'no-logging' policy.
  • This is the second time PIA had to prove their mettle in a federal court, and this is their second consecutive win.
  • VPNs, including PIA, evidently do not store the logs of users' internet activities.

A hacking trial in San Jose Federal court has done it again for VPN provider Private Internet Access (PIA). The case has proved that online activities cannot be linked with user’s identity if the user was on a VPN, which in this case was PIA. This is the second time any such claim has come forward against PIA.

I feel safe with PIA.

PIA is part of Kape so I am completely suspicious of it :/

ashok.silwal

Nov 6, 2019
While VPNs are beneficial for online anonymity, they sometimes have their limitations, like speed drops or becoming common targets due to their popularity. I'm more inclined to use proxies via an antidetect browser then just a VPN.

Using individual proxies is kinda like having your private passageway on the web. Unlike VPNs, which route your traffic through shared servers, individual proxies dedicate a unique IP address just for you. This often means better speeds and reduced chances of the IP getting blacklisted. But here's a heads up: not all proxies are created equal. Steer clear of those free ones you see everywhere. Their unsecured protocols can expose your data. And, that means your passwords and other goodies could be up for grabs.

Before diving in, it's wise to use a proxy checker. This tool ensures your chosen proxy is indeed individual and not shared. A little caution goes a long way!

franz

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
While VPNs are beneficial for online anonymity, they sometimes have their limitations, like speed drops or becoming common targets due to their popularity. I'm more inclined to use proxies via an antidetect browser then just a VPN.

Using individual proxies is kinda like having your private passageway on the web. Unlike VPNs, which route your traffic through shared servers, individual proxies dedicate a unique IP address just for you. This often means better speeds and reduced chances of the IP getting blacklisted. But here's a heads up: not all proxies are created equal. Steer clear of those free ones you see everywhere. Their unsecured protocols can expose your data. And, that means your passwords and other goodies could be up for grabs.

Before diving in, it's wise to use a proxy checker. This tool ensures your chosen proxy is indeed individual and not shared. A little caution goes a long way!
There are VPNs that can also route you through a proxy as a second layer of security(y)

Reactions: Moonhorse

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.