Guide | How To Is your Internet speed slower after the Windows 10 Anniversary Update edition?

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
If you have noticed a decrease in your Internet speed since applying the Windows 10 Anniversary Update edition it might be due to Windows reintroducing a feature called "Window Auto-Tuning.

Originally introduced back in Vista Microsoft has included this feature in the Anniversary update.
It is set to on by default and is designed to improve performance for those programs that receive TCP data over a Network.

This should make data transfers more efficient however some might experience slower data transfer speeds in Windows 10 than before applying the Anniversary update.

There is a way to manage the Windows Auto-Tuning feature by way of a command prompt.

First you will need to check to see whether Windows Auto-Tuning is enabled/disabled

You will need to open a command prompt as an Administrator

• Tap on the Windows-key, type cmd.exe, hold down Shift and Ctrl keys, and hit enter.
  • Confirm the UAC prompt that opens.
  • Run the command netsh interface tcp show global
Locate the "Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level" value under TCP Global Parameters. If it is not set to disabled, it is being used by Windows to optimize TCP connections.

Ashampoo_Snap_2016.08.08_18h51m38s_004_.png

You may want to disable the feature to run connection tests and see if it is the cause for the limited Internet speed that you are getting out of the connection.

Run the following command to disable Window Auto-Tuning on Windows 10:
  • netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
You get ok as verification that the value was set correctly. You may verify this by running netsh interface tcp show global again

Ashampoo_Snap_2016.08.08_18h54m01s_006_.png

Once disabled, start downloads just like before and monitor the speeds that you get.

If it did not, you may want to turn it on again. This is done by running the following command:
  • netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal
Ok should be returned again to indicate that the new value was set correctly. It is recommended to check the global values again to make sure that is indeed the case.

A good analysis and more information on this feature go here How Windows is Killing Internet Download Speeds

Source: gHacks Technology News

*Note: Unless you are experiencing marked speed slowdowns since the update this setting might be the cause for the slower speeds.
If you are not seeing any difference it is probably best to leave the setting on default.
As always use caution and use at your own risk.

Last edited:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Note, a few of my gaming friend last night were playing with this, all of them but one and there were 4, lost or had degraded speeds after removing this from the "normal" setting.
They each did the speed test after changing it and rebooting and eventually set it back to default. I chickened out after their results and left mine alone :)
I would advise against tinkering with this unless you have dire need to fix a slowdown, if not I would leave it alone.
Great post Exterminator

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Note, a few of my gaming friend last night were playing with this, all of them but one and there were 4, lost or had degraded speeds after removing this from the "normal" setting.
They each did the speed test after changing it and rebooting and eventually set it back to default. I chickened out after their results and left mine alone :)
I would advise against tinkering with this unless you have dire need to fix a slowdown, if not I would leave it alone.
Great post Exterminator
I have it set to disabled just to test it out.It can be enabled just as easily but yes you are right in that unless you have a noticeable slowdown since the update there is really no reason to disable the setting.
I should add the disclaimer "use at your own risk"

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Speed test with it on default
5538544306.png

Speed test with it disabled
5538541363.png

Also did some downloads on both and really saw no difference.It didn't make it better and didn't make it worse.
I imagine from the speed tests it was better on the default setting although no marked difference either way.
Then again I really have not had any speed issues since the update but I have seen complaints about speed issues since the update.

Last edited:

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
No problems with my Internet speed since upgrading to AU. I have always achieved the maximum speed my line supports using all OS's from XP to 10.

Thanks for the tutorial though, will keep it bookmarked in case the situation ever changes.

Reactions: Der.Reisende

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.