Spawn

Administrator
Verified
Staff member
We've known for more than a year that Google Play Music's days were numbered. Its death had even been officially announced, but it's now really real. Google has just sunset the GPM app on Android and web, providing the knock-out blow to what has been a rather short match.

Open the Android app now and you'll likely be greeted by a white splash screen with a Play Music logo that morphs into a YouTube Music one. Bold text tells you GPM is no longer available and explains that you can transfer your whole library to YTM.

Local Host

Level 23
Verified
I have an announcement to make in line with that. The lack of commitment by the Google team to their own projects has passed a line for me. More next week.
Microsoft frustrates me more, as their projects have lots of potencial but no support from the company that owns them.

Google just wastes time trying to create replacements no one asked for, they have support but one cares.

SeriousHoax

Level 32
Verified
Now that I look at the list, it may be worse than M$. :D
Microsoft & Google
Spider Man Reaction GIF

Spawn

Administrator
Verified
Staff member
Hmmm never heard of it, if I did... I never used whatever it does lol.
It allowed users to upload their music for free (up to 50,000 songs!) from their personal computers, and stream it back for free on their mobile or Web app.
Songs could also be downloaded back as (.mp3) on their other computers.

The other side of the app was a paid subscription / music store for new music.