ItsWill's Security Configuration

ItsWill

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 22, 2016
Real-Time Protection
  • Avira Free Antivirus
  • I use mostly default settings, but I disable audible notifications as a matter of personal preference.
  • BGPKiller is installed to block Avira advertising, and the Avira Launcher is disabled as it basically just another advertising platform.
On-Demand Scanners
  • Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free and Zemana AntiMalware - I perform scans with both at least weekly.
Privacy and Optimisation
  • CCleaner - I probably run the file cleaner about 5 times a day
  • I never use the registry cleaner unless I'm sure that there is an issue in the registry, and even then I'm selective about which 'issues' I let it fix and I back up the registry before proceeding.
Backup and Recovery
  • OS - I always perform a clean install, I don't like restoring from an image.
  • Documents - Bvckup 2, on a weekly schedule, to my BitLocker encrypted external hard drive.
Browser
  • Google Chrome, stable release channel.
  • I do not use the bookmark/setting syncing features.
  • Do not track enabled
  • Adobe Flash disabled
  • All other settings default
  • I always browse in incognito mode.
  • The only extension I use is uBlock Origin (yes, it is enabled in incognito).
Password Manager
  • KeePass, used to generate all my passwords.
  • Database is stored on my BitLocker encrypted memory stick.
Virtualization
  • I have a VirtualBox VM in which I test unfamiliar software or software which could negatively affect the configuration of my host OS.

Last edited:

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Looks very good to me! Everything is covered, but yet simple and effective. Maybe a bit too overpowered to run ccleaner 5 times a day + using incognito mode, but if you feel fine with it or you think it's needed on your machine, please keep doing it that way. Wish you a malware-free future! :)

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
Hello. Super solid config. Everything is covered, nothing really to add.;):)

Thanks a lot for sharing.:)

Reactions: ItsWill

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
That is the price of a safe, clutter-free & malware-free life.:) I too am addicted to ccleaner. & MT! too...;):D:p

EDIT: But i use registry cleaners too. For eg., CCleaner, WiseCare265 & Me (Manually)...:D:p

Last edited:

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
That is the price of a safe, clutter-free & malware-free life.:) I too am addicted to ccleaner. & MT! too...;):D:p
Addicted to MT? Who not here? :p.
But more on topic, I do only a ccleaner once a week, and I delete my browser history (within browser itself) every day. But it's of course a good thing to do it regulary and you do it even better ;)
One more thing that came into my mind is that it's maybe interesting to take a look at Zemana Antimalware Free as another second opinion scanner to add, since it's slowly getting better and better, and its very popular here on MT, but again it's your choice :)

ItsWill

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 22, 2016
Addicted to MT? Who not here? :p.
But more on topic, I do only a ccleaner once a week, and I delete my browser history (within browser itself) every day. But it's of course a good thing to do it regulary and you do it even better ;)
One more thing that came into my mind is that it's maybe interesting to take a look at Zemana Antimalware Free as another second opinion scanner to add, since it's slowly getting better and better, and its very popular here on MT, but again it's your choice :)
I've noticed that ZAM is becoming quite popular. Once the license I was given for HitmanPro expires, I will probably replace it with Zemana Free :).

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
I've noticed that ZAM is becoming quite popular. Once the license I was given for HitmanPro expires, I will probably replace it with Zemana Free :).

Good choice. :)

What are your thoughts on Anti-exploits & Anti-loggers? Ever used them?

Reactions: kev216

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
They seem like a good principle, I've never used any such tools myself as I've simply not read into them that much. Do you like them?

I don't like them per se, but I do think they are helpful.

About Anti-exploit, I am using EMET 5.5 right now on my system with my Kaspersky. Kaspersky has an automatic exploit prevention module inbuilt still i use EMET for my peace of mind.
About Anti-logger, Kaspersky already has one inbuilt for financial transactions & that is all i need.

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

In my opinion the best Anti-Logger is Zemana Anti-Logger Premium because it has built in Zemana Cloud and other features.

Reactions: ItsWill and kev216

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
Well-detailed and a highly secure config, well done! Your'e good to go:)
Since you are not using clean system image backup,I would sincerely suggest you to make at least one Windows restore point of a fully functional system just in case,it will save you a lot of time and effort.
Ccleaner is an excellent choice for junk removal, you could add CCenhancer with it, which provides effective cleaning for software which are not supported by default.
If you are worried about keyloggers, you can use browser addons like Noscript/ ScriptSafe(at the cost of some usability of course) or third party solutions(like Zemana).However, safe browsing habits and protection hygiene along with your main security should be enough.
Lastly, I hope you are testing malwares inside the VirtualBox;) Always keep the OS and software up-to-date for maximum safety.

These are just a few suggestions from my side:pthanks for sharing!

Last edited:

pneuma1985

Level 4
Verified
Aug 30, 2015
Nice Config very solid.
This is just my opinion but I disagree with a clean install over a clean image. Imaging takes a few minutes vs an hour depending on the OS. IE windows7 takes about an hour and ten minutes or longer to get the os and updates installed on my ssd evo850. MS servers are so slow so can't really help that. Windows 10 takes about an hour as well with its updates. Though I do have to update my iso version b/c I currently have the last version on my usb for windows10. So it ends up taking even longer. So imaging is so much easier I mean you can always use tools like WSUS for offline installs but their a pita to update and maintain and are all pre windows10 I think. They essentially keep you safe for the hours it takes to update windows. Just a pita and takes forever... I always wait till I get a really good install of windows and just image it.

Last edited:

ItsWill

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 22, 2016
Looking for people's opinions.

My BitDefender subscription is expiring soon but I have 6 months remaining on an active subscription for Norton Security as it came with a laptop I bought. Is it worth spending £5-£10 on a new BitDefender code, or is Norton on par?

My current understanding is that Norton Security is very light on RAM usage (from what I've seen it uses 10-20MB) whereas BitDefender is one of the heaviest for RAM usage (it uses in excess of 200MB), however the actual performance impact of both programs is negligible. What about protection? Both seem to get good results in independent testing.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
If you think Bitdefender survive throughout on your system then why not purchase it? Sometimes those negative/disadvantages especially when it comes on RAM usage (performance and usability category) then its a system to system basis where everything varies.

Although no biggy where Norton Security is indeed light on most system nowadays because of components made. @ItsWill

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.