Jaffa_Whacka Linux Mint Config

Jaffa_Whacka

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 24, 2014
Back on Linux Mint its such a cool OS i kind of miss Windows as im so used to it but the speed i get when watching videos, browsing so much faster without all the software i had on windows slowing me down. I will probs try set up a dual boot at some point for Windows gaming but at the moment have no idea how. Linux set up with /Home on separate partition along with efi boot.

Jaffa_Whacka

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 24, 2014
Yea its nice, back on Windows for now.. Nice thing about mint is that its secure right from install all you really have to do is enable firewall, update the os, packages and your good unlike windows. Only thing i cant do in MINT is play games the 2 i play dont work on MINT and it seems pointless dual booting just to play 2 games and keeping MINT for browsing. Even tho im back on Windows im still reading the MINT forums etc because i will go back but want a little more know how :p

Jaffa_Whacka

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 24, 2014
Yea was to much hassle i was up all night trying games in wine i gave up in the end even tried them in Virtual Box. Only game i play at the moment is Age of Empires 2 HD and that works via wine/steam so will try that tomorrow. Felt so so smooth and fast compared to Windows 7 and its so customizable i was messing with themes for hours and hours i had alot of trouble mind using Gnome 3 themes on Gnome 2 dident find out till 10 minutes ago reading forums.

D

Deleted member 178

yes Windows is like a limo , whatever you boost the engine, it is still a limo, with lot of crap inside that make it slow ^^

i still have a Win8/Linux dual-boot , but i rarely go in Windows now

Jaffa_Whacka

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 24, 2014
I did try to dual boot Win7 and MINT but had trouble. Now that i have windows as only OS on hard drive might be easier trying to setup dual boot for MINT. i have my MINT partitions setup like:

efi boot
/ file system
/swap
/home

If i make another install now from live cd do i just set them as normall and leave the windows partitions alone?

D

Deleted member 178

yes just format the root partition properly and install the new distro there (always as Ext4 labelled as "/") , "swap" will be recognized and untouched, if you have valuable datas in "/home" ; keep it ; if not format it too.

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
Yea its nice, back on Windows for now.. Nice thing about mint is that its secure right from install all you really have to do is enable firewall, update the os, packages and your good unlike windows. Only thing i cant do in MINT is play games the 2 i play dont work on MINT and it seems pointless dual booting just to play 2 games and keeping MINT for browsing. Even tho im back on Windows im still reading the MINT forums etc because i will go back but want a little more know how :p

I personally think this is a great site for Linux Mint 17 MATE users http://cyberraiden.wordpress.com/:)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.