Japan's digital minister vows to rid the country of floppy disks....yes disks.

TedCruz

Level 5
Thread author
Aug 19, 2022
Japan's digital minister has vowed to remove laws requiring that data sent to the government is shipped on floppy disks and other physical media.

Digital minister Taro Kono on Tuesday vowed to dismiss Japan's laws that have entrenched floppy disks and CD-ROMs in the nation's systems. In a tweet from his English Twitter account, Kono said he was declaring "war" on floppy disks as part of its digital transformation and enabling citizens to submit data online.

Kono explained there were about 1,900 articles in Japan's laws that require businesses to submit forms to the government on floppy disk. There are also 157 laws that require submissions specifically be sent on optical disks, magnetic disks, and magnetic tapes.

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
Kono explained there were about 1,900 articles in Japan's laws that require businesses to submit forms to the government on floppy disk. There are also 157 laws that require submissions specifically be sent on optical disks, magnetic disks, and magnetic tapes.
LOL I feel like there used to be a time when those provisions were considered super high-end.

TedCruz

Level 5
Thread author
Aug 19, 2022
I want my floppy disks back. :LOL::LOL::LOL:
Exactly I don't see a problem here! I think the problem is that other countries are not using enough floppy disks to store their info! We need ZIP drives back and the ZIP drive click of death!

Back in the day while doing my graduate research I used an LS-120 drive since we found them superior to ZIP disks plus the drive could also use regular 3.5 floppies.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Japan is transitioning from the era of floppy disks to giant DVDs.:ROFLMAO:(y)💿

DSC01871-8d5b0.jpg
💽We can understand that emoji originated in Japan from the fact that there are still media that are no longer used.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.