JoeDowling Security Config 2016

JoeDowling

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 30, 2016
Just added New Bitdefender Total Security 2016 , previously had Malwarebytes Pro along with Bullguard internet security. Not sure what second line security is needed /compatible with Bitdefender. Any Advice?

Have noted Bitdefender and Acronis Scheduler seem to have a conflict. both work sor far though.

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
Very nice config, thanks for sharing. :)

You should add some on-demand scanners. I see you had MBAM Pro, why not use it as on-demand scanner by turning off Real-time protection. You can also try HitmanPro, EEK, HerdProtect. Choose what you see fit with your main protection (Bitdefender).

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
First of all, I would like to welcome you on MalwareTips, @JoeDowling! We all hope you enjoy your stay here!

Now then, getting directly to the point:
I would like note that if you practice safe computing/surfing habits, then any security setup can provide sufficient protection; As such, Bitdefender Total Security 2016 can provide more than sufficient protection for your system.

Acronis True Image is one of the most capable backup applications available at the moment. I myself am using it, and I can verify that it is extremely effective in its operation.
As far as backing up your computer is concerned, I recommend that you have a a system image of a known good state of your system (created using Acronis True Image), so that you can use it to restore your system to that exact state, in case of a disaster, such as a software malfunction or a malware infection.

If you believe that Bitdefender Total Security is causing problems with Acronis Scheduler, then I recommend you add the Acronis True Image program files as exclusions in Bitdefender Total Security's configuration settings, so that Bitdefender does not scan, and potentially block, any functions of Acronis Scheduler.

Other than that, you're good to go! Thanks for sharing your config with us! :p

Last edited:
C

Crystal_Lake_Camper

as second line of defence you could ad an anti exploit , like there is malwarebytes ant exploit , or emet. you could also add voodooshield or NVT exe radar pro or appguard ( all these three are anti executables ) as for iolo , be causious with there registry cleaner , it can trash you system in seconds ( always back up your registry before cleaning ) if you want another app ( paid ) to make your system more bulletproof you could buy shadow defender ( a systemwide virtualizer when I shadowmode any unwated changes by malware , accidentaly removing something you can discard changes previously made at reboot of your computer ) welcome to mt btw joe , hope that your stay here , is a pleassant one ;)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hello @JoeDowling!
Thank you for sharing your configuration (I'd found myself reading about Bitdefender TS's newest version which your thread inspired..);) and warm greetings to you for your joining MalwareTips!:D

Windows 10 which I look forward to experiencing 1st hand, by many accounts looks to already be quite secure. I understand it provides a virtual app container which may add an additional layer of security you're considering.

As you've listed Chrome, you may wish to activate it's built in third party cookie blocker:
  1. Click the Chrome menu
    tgmsrPRh34tM4q0WYv7l-NNXDz7dqm7ftk8TyCEguoY30xkEg8lcw_ULI23ki9Q=w18-h18
    on the browser toolbar.
  2. Select Settings.
  3. Click Show advanced settings.
  4. In the "Privacy" section, click the Content settings button. Select "Block third-party cookies and site data"
    • After this you'll see
      chrome_95647_blocked_cookie.gif
      in the address bar whenever a cookie has been blocked.
    • You may also mark the circle "Keep site data only until browser is closed".

PS If you begin an introduction thread :rolleyes:
    New Member Introductions
    you'll be qualified to enter all our member Giveaways!:cool:

JoeDowling

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 30, 2016
Hello @JoeDowling!
Thank you for sharing your configuration (I'd found myself reading about Bitdefender TS's newest version which your thread inspired..);) and warm greetings to you for your joining MalwareTips!:D

Windows 10 which I look forward to experiencing 1st hand, by many accounts looks to already be quite secure. I understand it provides a virtual app container which may add an additional layer of security you're considering.

As you've listed Chrome, you may wish to activate it's built in third party cookie blocker:
  1. Click the Chrome menu
    tgmsrPRh34tM4q0WYv7l-NNXDz7dqm7ftk8TyCEguoY30xkEg8lcw_ULI23ki9Q=w18-h18
    on the browser toolbar.
  2. Select Settings.
  3. Click Show advanced settings.
  4. In the "Privacy" section, click the Content settings button. Select "Block third-party cookies and site data"
    • After this you'll see
      chrome_95647_blocked_cookie.gif
      in the address bar whenever a cookie has been blocked.
    • You may also mark the circle "Keep site data only until browser is closed".

PS If you begin an introduction thread :rolleyes:
    New Member Introductions
    you'll be qualified to enter all our member Giveaways!:cool:
Thanks will do that.

I have re-installed malwarebytes anti exploit , will see if it plays well with bitdefender. The issue with Acronis has been reported to both acronis support and Bitdefender, for now it seems to be ok though,

Last edited by a moderator:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Nice config! With a few tweaks as already suggested it should be rock solid.
I would consider replacing Iola with CCleaner as that is usually more than enough.
The addition of some on demand scanners such as ESET Online Scanner,Emsisoft Emergency Kit and or Herd protect
+1 for UAC to "always notify"
Thanks for sharing your config :)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Bitdefender TS is already sufficient except in the line of keylogger and exploit so highly follow the advice mentioned.

Add a backup browser for emergency cases then try to change from Adblock plus/Pro to Ublock Origin for better block advertisement capabilities.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.