On board graphics
4GB 1600MHZ DDR3L
SSD 240GB
Notable changes
21 Feb Added Keypass and backed up system to USB
22 Feb Removed VS and added OSA
24 Feb Added Aomei Backupper Pro
27 Feb Added WPD
03 May Removed Soft Organiser and WPD, added Geek uninstaller and ClearUrl's + switched from Admin to SUA
06 May Removed P Possum
07 May Removed Adguard vpn and OSA, added HC (recommended settings)

JohnR

Level 2
Thread author
Feb 19, 2020
Been using Linux Mint on a desktop for a good few years, but the poor thing died of old age some months back. Am now using my laptop to discover what plays nicely within Win10 prior to building a new Windows based PC.

I don't posses a tin foil hat and expect only to limit the worst of the telemetry etc, anything that connects to the net will always have some way of bleating to the rest of it's flock and the contents of my latest shopping list/videos of fluffy cats will be of little interest to all but the most bored :)

Last edited:

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@JohnR:

Using Hard_Configurator tool mitigations maybe can avoid the use of VoodooShield :)

In System Backup, You may add Macrium Reflect Free or AOEMI Backupper, both are free and reliable.

In Data BackUp, consider also to run manual backups of important data to external devices, and/or in cloud services.

A PassWord Manager would be better than saving password in browser.

Please kindly reflect Your changes editing Your config, and announcing them here, thanks for sharing :)

JohnR

Level 2
Thread author
Feb 19, 2020
Minor adjustments, added WPD and Aomei Backupper,. Will look to possible use of HC over the coming weeks, but happier make small changes one at a time rather than a job-lot and then fail to understand where I messed up. All good at the moment :)

JohnR

Level 2
Thread author
Feb 19, 2020
Admin to SUA
Uninstalled Soft Organiser - replaced with Geek Uninstaller
Uninstalled WPD
Added CleanUrl's, undecided if Possum is still required but running both for now without issue

The only permission I have needed to allow thus far, was from OSA during install of MPC-HC-x64, least I know OSA is working :)

Chri.Mi

Level 7
Well-known
Apr 30, 2020
Admin to SUA
Uninstalled Soft Organiser - replaced with Geek Uninstaller
Uninstalled WPD
Added CleanUrl's, undecided if Possum is still required but running both for now without issue

The only permission I have needed to allow thus far, was from OSA during install of MPC-HC-x64, least I know OSA is working :)
I would consider replace OSA (i know it work, but looks a bit outdated) and use smth like VDS

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
Nice setup. I would recommend Bitwarden as a password manager because Keepass is good but the browser extension is very bad.
Also If you want to keep Keepass I would recommend to use KeepassXC. Better than Keepass.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Made a couple of changes, let the Possum go and installed HC at the expense of OSA, a setup so mundane I could fall asleep looking at it.
I repeat the sentiment of others, thanks @Andy Ful
I promise that it will not be mundane when you will install new applications frequently. The whole world of whitelisting will open before your eyes.:)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.