Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer
Smart App Control
Network firewall
Enabled
Real-time security
Bitdefender Total
Firewall security
About custom security
Bitdefender asking permission if new rule is needed.
Periodic malware scanners
Once a week quick scan.
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Firefox 107. Extensions listed above in question.
Secure DNS
Surfshark DNS set in windows
Desktop VPN
Surfshark VPN
Password manager
None
Maintenance tools
O & O Defrag, O & O backup
File and Photo backup
O & O backup to local drive.
System recovery
Boot disk to run O & O image from backup. In the past I have used Macrium and it has worked very well.
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Browsing to unknown / untrusted / shady sites
    • Buying from online stores, entering banks card details
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Sharing and receiving files and torrents
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
What I'm looking for?

Looking for medium feedback.

jolt2

Thread author
Jul 25, 2022
I bought Adguard and want to know what extensions I can remove from Firefox web browser when I install Adguard program. I am looking at cutting down on overlap of these programs and extensions. Privacy and security are both important to me and I know that there are trade offs between the two. I will be using this on Windows10 with Bitdefender AV and I use a VPN too. What I have now for extensions are the following:
  • CanvasBlocker
  • ClearURLs
  • Cookie Auto Delete
  • Decentraleyes
  • NoScripts
  • UBlock Origin
  • WebRTC Control

I am not sure if I am posting this in the proper section because my question is both about extensions and Adguard program working together. I was told in another section of this forum to post my question in this section.

Also is the Adguard extension needed if the program is on my system?

Thank you for any advice and help with this!

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Also is the Adguard extension needed if the program is on my system?
No
CanvasBlocker
You can use firefox about:config to set up rule privacy.resistFingerprinting as true

ClearURLs
You can use adguard url tracking filter

Cookie Auto Delete
You can set up adguard to remove cookies in time you like to, aswell you can set up firefox to remove all cookies in exit

WebRTC Control
You can set up firefox at about:config to media.peerconnection.enabled - FALSE

• Decentraleyes
  • NoScripts
  • UBlock Origin

Adguard filters pretty much are better than ublock origin, you can keep noscript if you like to , decentraleyes is kind of useless

So i would just stick to noscript with adguard desktop and remove rest

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Also, in Periodic scanning, You may add some 3rd party tools as a second opinion scanners, and/or even use Malware Defender on demand scan.

Thanks for sharing :)

jolt2

Thread author
Jul 25, 2022
No

You can use firefox about:config to set up rule privacy.resistFingerprinting as true

You can use adguard url tracking filter

You can set up adguard to remove cookies in time you like to, aswell you can set up firefox to remove all cookies in exit

You can set up firefox at about:config to media.peerconnection.enabled - FALSE

Adguard filters pretty much are better than ublock origin, you can keep noscript if you like to , decentraleyes is kind of useless

So i would just stick to noscript with adguard desktop and remove rest
Thank you for the information and help with this. I am new to Adguard and did not know how much overlap there would be with the extensions I have.

jolt2

Thread author
Jul 25, 2022
Why O&O image when you don't have any problem with Macrium? just wondering.

No Password manager? how many website accounts do you have?
The version of Macrium I have is old. O&O use to make good software, I found a deal on it and thought I would give them a try. Just something different and to give O&O some support.

As for the password manager, I write them all down. Old school stuff but I do not have to deal with someone else controling my passwords. My version of Bitdefender comes with a password manger and I was thinking of using that. I also know that Bitdefender changed their password program and it messed up things for people. This is from Bitdefenders forum board. Family password accounts as individuals all got merged together into one account with no way to separate them after the Bitdefender password manager program update.

Reactions: harlan4096

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I suggest ditching all of your current extensions and using FF's built-in features like Strict Tracking Protection, and enable WebGL, fingerprinting protection, etc, via about:config. Adguard will catch whatever FF doesn't, and built-in features are inherently better and more secure than adding extensions, with less attack surface. (y)

Keep it simple, stay secure.:cool:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.