Advice Request K7 Total Security

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigWrench

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
Greetings all. I have been trialing this on a couple of older laptops. Seems very good. Lightest I’ve ever seen.(way lighter than even Webroot) No slowdown with surfing, opening files, etc....My question is, has anyone here fooled around with it, or tested it, or does anyone else USE IT?

Would love to see someone in the Hub try it. YouTube videos are non existent.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I gave up on third-party "Antivirus" and "Internet Security" when I realised Windows 10's security has got the basics covered.

To answer your question, I have not tried K7. You can check the Video Reviews or request a member of the Malware Hub to test it.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

K7 is extremely lightweight. AVC it scores pretty well in the top tier depending on the test. Support is non-existent and Indian speaking people only. Expect to be totally ignored. The firewall in it is fairly robust, but the CVE's it blocks aren't updated - ever. The interface is soundly stuck in the 1990's and appears never to be updated but it's still an effective firewall if you set PUBLIC on it. Also, the URL scanner is actually quite good in it, and offers no browsing lag at all.

I suppose in situations with potato computers (or people that demand lightness regardless of system - like me) it's probably one of the better solutions.. K7+OSArmor+SysHardener is going to provide you with a very strong, very light solution IMO. Provided you can get past the no-support, ancient interface, and the feeling like you are the only guy on the planet running it.

As for Windows Defender, it's universally HEAVY on systems. I find it remarkable how sluggish my reasonably powerful gaming rigs become after a Win10 reset and WD is triggered back on. They feel like bricks. So I could never recommend WD for anyone, regardless of the hardware in place.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Yes..K7 is a good AV..They gave me out a 20 yr license (GOLD) for beta testing their product..In a short span of time one of the few
vendors i seen who greatly improved their pro active part..However it has pros and cons.
PROS: Great Signatures almost at par with AVIRA..Nice interface, Very lighter on the systems, Pro active part is good.

CONS: Poor Anti phishing (Follows Dr WEB), Removal rate is next to none against unknown threats, Very poor against worms, Scriptors,
BB is poor against BANKING Trojans(Specifically i tested against these), Banking Protection is NULL,
Can't block or prevent (f_0ccb4) -Droppers we call it..) these files during phishing phase, Self protection is so so, Great malicious URL Blocking

Being a tester of K7 the above facts are true to my knowledge..however if wrong pls correct me!!

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I would really like to know more about this. It's getting rave reviews and if you want to believe AV testers, scores with the elite. But I honestly don't trust anything anymore until it has been tested here at MT or Wilders.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I would really like to know more about this. It's getting rave reviews and if you want to believe AV testers, scores with the elite. But I honestly don't trust anything anymore until it has been tested here at MT or Wilders.
I tested it once and immediately I stopped due to the abysmal result even with the tweaked max settings
https://malwaretips.com/threads/1-06-2018-16.83983/#post-739769

it's protection against scriptors is non-existent, poor signatures, weak BB (mostly by blocking autoruns)

Pros: very light
Cons: overwhelm its pros => not recommended

Last edited:

BigWrench

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
Not Too shabby.....(y)
I can live with those results, with a couple of "helpers".

Firefox_Screenshot_2018-08-18T13-16-39.973Z.png

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Not Too shabby.....(y)
I can live with those results, with a couple of "helpers".

Agreed - don't let the whole 'tested it once in the hub' be the sole indicator in deciding what you should and should not try, talk about, or even use. Because if you do, then you will likely only end up with 1-2 choices and you might find those couple of choices to be not acceptable to you. Once again, the hub doesn't represent any conceivable real world scenario for either home users and especially enterprise/corporate. It's not a slight to the hub, but if you really want to test something toss it on a host machine on a segregated port on your router (VLAN if you can), with Chrome and start browsing, downloading, and being a pickle brain on the system. Can it stand up to you being a pickle brain for all of the normal ingress routes and threat vectors for average people? Do you like the features and feeling of it? Then roll with it and don't worry. That's really all that matters in reality. Or be creative, find a clicker among your family and friends and install it for them. Check back in 6 months and see how it worked out.

It's extremely lightweight, and sufficiently protective for average users. (as demonstrated in that video, avtest, etc) It's biggest strengths wouldn't even be reflected in pack testing, which are it's robust URL filtration and above average firewall in a time when most products completely suck at firewalls, or don't even have them.

Test K7 Computing Total Security 15.1 for Windows 10 (182249)

About that system weight.

k7.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Peter Phillie

Level 1
Verified
Jul 12, 2018
I am using K7 Anti-virus, so far no problems encountered on its' blocking and security features. But, I noticed that it is heavy on Ram and sometimes has slower scanning speed. So, I suggest that K7 must need some improvements and upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.