Kaspersky IS 2013 Beta

How would you rate Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 BETA?

• 5 Stars (Excellent)

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • 4 Stars (Very Good)

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • 3 Stars (Good)

• 2 Stars (Fair)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 Star (Poor)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I did not try this product!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
1 star, 2 star or even 5 star. It's a beta, that does not reflect Kaspersky 2013.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Beta is expected to have bugs. Some major changes have been made to Sandbox systems. Memory usage is always high for KIS. But although removal is decent KIS always has good detection.

P

Plexx

Was this tested on a Host or VirtualBox?

If it was on VirtualBox, then any kaspersky product from 2012 onwards will lag badly.

I had to resort to VMware to properly test Pure and KIS2012, as well as 2013 beta.
Dedicated 1 processor and 1gb Ram and it was fine on VMware, unlike VB.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Biozfear said:

If it was on VirtualBox, then any kaspersky product from 2012 onwards will lag badly.

I had to resort to VMware to properly test Pure and KIS2012, as well as 2013 beta.

Interesting.

I know that Comodo Internet Security isn't happy in VirtualBox due to the limitations of how it emulates certain processes. Now it appears that VB doesn't make Kaspersky Internet Security happy either.

I'm starting to wonder if VB is a poor platform for testing any security products.

King Grub

Jun 7, 2011
If you didn't disable them, Application Verifier and traces are enabled by default in the beta versions. This logs everything that happens and really slow things down. This is for easy upload to the developers, but it is a huge resource bog. In the beta versions, this is enabled by default, but disabled in the finished versions.

P

Plexx

HeffeD said:
Biozfear said:

Interesting.

I know that Comodo Internet Security isn't happy in VirtualBox due to the limitations of how it emulates certain processes. Now it appears that VB doesn't make Kaspersky Internet Security happy either.

I'm starting to wonder if VB is a poor platform for testing any security products.

That is what I thought as well. I tried both KIS 2012 and Kaspersky pure. The CPU was spiked up every few seconds to nearly 100%. Even copying a file whilst the system was clean took me literally 2 minutes. The video unedited was over 30 mins, where there are pauses as usual.

It could have been a faulty installation process, so I do plan on installing Pure again in VB.

On a side note, Pure was fine with VMware.

@Hotrod123: consider adding some screenshots for written reviews, so the community can benefit with some visuals.

MDTechVideos

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
Biozfear said:
@Hotrod123: consider adding some screenshots for written reviews, so the community can benefit with some visuals.

I finished a "partial" video review(did web-based test, did not scan samples). The reason why I did not pursue publishing the video any further was because the amount of editing required to remove the painfully silent, and quite honestly boring, parts of the film would have taken me a very long time. If I do plan in advance to do a written review, however, I will take screen shots to show more of the step-by-step process of testing. However, I just thought since I did the physical test that something should be shown for it.

P

Plexx

When I meant screenshots, I am referring to UI, Settings, Features etc.
If it is a security suite, then perhaps a screenshot of while it is scanning and once scan is finished.

Other than that, task manager screenshot with all users process running, so users can have an idea on how much ram the product uses.

You can refer to some of my reviews for an idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.