Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
MOSCOW/TORONTO: Moscow-based Kaspersky Lab plans to open a datacentre in Switzerland to address Western government concerns that Russia exploits its anti-virus software to spy on customers, according to internal documents seen by Reuters.

Kaspersky is setting up the centre in response to actions in the United States, Britain and Lithuania last year to stop using the company's products, according to the documents, which were confirmed by a person with direct knowledge of the matter.

The action is the latest effort by Kaspersky, a global leader in anti-virus software, to parry accusations by the US government and others that the company spies on customers at the behest of Russian intelligence. The US last year ordered civilian government agencies to remove the Kaspersky software from their networks.

Kaspersky has strongly rejected the accusations and filed a lawsuit against the US ban.

The US allegations were the "trigger" for setting up the Swiss datacentre, said the person familiar with Kapersky's Switzerland plans, but not the only factor.

"The world is changing," they said, speaking on condition of anonymity when discussing internal company business. "There is more balkanisation and protectionism."

The person declined to provide further details on the new project, but added: "This is not just a PR stunt. We are really changing our R&D infrastructure."

A Kaspersky spokeswoman declined to comment on the documents reviewed by Reuters.

In a statement, Kaspersky Lab said: "To further deliver on the promises of our Global Transparency Initiative, we are finalising plans for the opening of the company's first transparency centre this year, which will be located in Europe."

"We understand that during a time of geopolitical tension, mirrored by an increasingly complex cyber-threat landscape, people may have questions and we want to address them."

Kaspersky Lab launched a campaign in October to dispel concerns about possible collusion with the Russian government by promising to let independent experts scrutinise its software for security vulnerabilities and "back doors" that governments could exploit to spy on its customers.

The company also said at the time that it would open "transparency centres" in Asia, Europe and the United States but did not provide details. The new Swiss facility is dubbed the Swiss Transparency Centre, according to the documents.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
I wonder if anyone has taken them up on this, it's the one thing Kaspersky said that gave me hope for them in this dilemma, they have been around so long and have always had a high level of integrity.

Kaspersky Lab launched a campaign in October to dispel concerns about possible collusion with the Russian government by promising to let independent experts scrutinise its software for security vulnerabilities and "back doors" that governments could exploit to spy on its customers.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
"hey guys we moved to Sweden servers"
5evtfkMF_o.gif

Setting up a lab or datacenter or whatever on Swiss territory... it's ridiculous. The geographic location of the servers and the remote addresses of connections is irrelevant. They can change all their products to use nothing but Swiss servers and still manage to cyspex the entire planet to death on behalf of the Russian government. Any of the large AV companies can do the same thing for their home governments. That's just how it works...

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
The hubris of Kaspersky is just breathtaking. I'm finally realizing that they really do believe that everyone in Government is too stupid to understand the mechanisms of breach.

They've already had the Public wrapped up, though. They were lauded for exposing the Equation Group, sowing Public discontent against Agencies that were there to protect citizens; but not one peep from K about Cozy Bear or the Ukrainian Infrastructure system wipers. This latter was just blown off with the old favorite Plausible Deniability.

D

Deleted member 65228

@cruelsister

Did you hear the recent exposure by Kaspersky regarding the 'Slingshot' APT? Allegedly, this APT was part of a U.S operation to gather intelligence for soldiers on-the-ground, an counter-terrorism operation targeting specific countries and people.

I don't see Kaspersky exposing Russian government operations, but they seem to do it often for U.S operations?

See here:
The Slingshot APT FAQ

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

They've already had the Public wrapped up, though. They were lauded for exposing the Equation Group, sowing Public discontent against Agencies that were there to protect citizens; but not one peep from K about Cozy Bear or the Ukrainian Infrastructure system wipers. This latter was just blown off with the old favorite Plausible Deniability.

While I agree on the hubris on exhibit, I think we've established to some extent the level of hubris coming from 'agencies' operating under the guise of protecting us. There seems to be plenty of hubris to go around, don't you think? If any revelations over the last few years have shown, our agencies have largely overstepped their mandate, are operating outside of limitations imposed by the constitution and are involved in far more than simply 'protecting' people. That in fact, they're making us all less secure is a commonly discussed topic in the private IT sectors. Not to mention the untold billions they've cost the US tech sector by sowing rabid untrustworthiness of firms within the reach of NSL's/FISA/Patriot act.

My advice is people put these petty politics and games between major players aside, and use security products and services not involved with this nonsense or any countries, agencies, firms attached to any of it. We have plenty of choices to step aside from this garbage from BOTH Russia and the USA, why not toss China and Israel into the mix too and leave 90% of the drama behind?

This is precisely why my cascade encrypted cloud drive is in Canada. My AV is in Germany. My Email is in Iceland, my UTM code I can look at myself, Etc... The US Agencies need no help making themselves look ridiculous (and evil, notwithstanding the stealthy removal of ‘honesty’ and ‘transparency’ from their core value website), neither do the Russians. So begone with them both and seek peace and security elsewhere.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Sly- I (sadly) understand your point. But please, please understand that there were many in the Governmental Security sector that had as their (her) sole goal in life to keep the nameless masses protected from harm, and this at the cost of passing up Private Sector employment that made our entire Government salary seem like no more than Chump Change found under a couch cushion.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Sly- I (sadly) understand your point. But please, please understand that there were many in the Governmental Security sector that had as their (her) sole goal in life to keep the nameless masses protected from harm, and this at the cost of passing up Private Sector employment that made our entire Government salary seem like no more than Chump Change found under a couch cushion.

There are always bad cops nestled in with a lot of good hard working cops. Generalization is usually not a good idea but unfortunately we all tend to partake in it. I've known a few good guys that were previously in agencies that fled after the situation degraded. Unfortunately in some cases, had to flee the country. Some agencies have a tendency to not properly release former assets. :oops:

Reactions: omidomi

omidomi

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
Well, I don't really see how this solves anything. So the data passes through Switzerland and on to Russia? Maybe someone can explain how this protects users?
As I undesrtand it mean that Swiss GV check packet and do't allow "any private data" to transfer....

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.