Hot Take Kaspersky Safe Money Bypass.

Xeno1234

Level 14
Thread author
Jun 12, 2023
@Xeno1234 This is nothing new, the only ones that really protect against keyloggers and screenshots are Comodo Secure Shopping, Bitdefender SafePay and SpyShelter itself, and perhaps more specifically against keyloggers is KeyScrambler. (y)
Kaspersky themselves has said that Safe Money has advanced antikeylogger technology
However, am I at risk if I just use Kaspersky? Could I get keylogged, or would online sandboxes detect keyloggers as malware?

Last edited:
Reactions: piquiteco

_Vimaro_

Apr 1, 2020
Hi everyone, just want to add to this topic:
- IMHO, Would be great if you share additional details of environment (i.e.: product settings); This, because you could use "Recommended settings"
- In your Kaspersky Technical Forum post, some user shared results of your tested Keylogger hash in Kaspersky Threat Intelligence Portal where the verdict for that application is "Not-A-Virus". According to Kaspersky Blog, this means: "Generally speaking, Kaspersky Internet Security associates “not-a-virus” with two types of applications: adware and riskware. Both types are not malicious by nature, so they cannot be called viruses. Still, users should know that they are installed; the applications may do something unwanted."
Source: Not-a-Virus: What is it?

Xeno1234

Level 14
Thread author
Jun 12, 2023
Hi everyone, just want to add to this topic:
- IMHO, Would be great if you share additional details of environment (i.e.: product settings); This, because you could use "Recommended settings"
- In your Kaspersky Technical Forum post, some user shared results of your tested Keylogger hash in Kaspersky Threat Intelligence Portal where the verdict for that application is "Not-A-Virus". According to Kaspersky Blog, this means: "Generally speaking, Kaspersky Internet Security associates “not-a-virus” with two types of applications: adware and riskware. Both types are not malicious by nature, so they cannot be called viruses. Still, users should know that they are installed; the applications may do something unwanted."
Source: Not-a-Virus: What is it?
Kaspersky has detected this testing tool as “Not a virus”. To run it, I turned off File AV - thus allowing me to execute it, and therefore keylog. This test is ment to show that Safe Money (which should stop keyloggers) in fact lets me keylog. This application was listed as trusted if you right click with KSN, but with the test it was placed in the low restricted group in HIPS.

In terms of changed settings, file AV was set to extreme, however it was disabled. Other than that, nothing was modified.

Finally, this was tested on my main pc, as the software isn’t malicious, it’s just for testing purposes.

Xeno1234

Level 14
Thread author
Jun 12, 2023
That file with some obfuscation would bypass their sig. Plus some counter signing.
Obfuscation probably won’t work, speaking as it’s a heuristic detection, it’s local emulation. The code is executed, therefore the obfuscation is gone.

But your point stands, it could bypass File AV, therefore you don’t have that component to help you. That’s what the test is supposed to represent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandbox Breaker

Sandbox Breaker

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 6, 2022
Obfuscation probably won’t work, speaking as it’s a heuristic detection, it’s local emulation. The code is executed, therefore the obfuscation is gone.

But your point stands, it could bypass File AV, therefore you don’t have that component to help you. That’s what the test is supposed to represent.
Yep. Well said.

Xeno1234

Level 14
Thread author
Jun 12, 2023
After further testing, I can conclude this
Without Safe Money, even with virtual keyboard, you are able to keylog.
With Safe Money, on anything applicable to Secure Keyboard Imput, the keys are only registered as "Y", therefore the keylogging is blocked.

Reactions: piquiteco

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
Kaspersky themselves has said that Safe Money has advanced antikeylogger technology
Yes, it's true that Kaspersky Safe Money has advanced anti-keylogger technology, but from what I saw in the video you used a SpyShelter security test tool which is a legitimate tool created by Datpol, so Kaspersky didn't alert you to it as a keylogger, malicious, virus or malware. So it's not a keylogger, it's just a keylogger simulator. ;)
However, am I at risk if I just use Kaspersky? Could I get keylogged, or would online sandboxes detect keyloggers as malware?
No, you don't run any risk using Kaspersky, because it has application control and KSN and by itself is very effective, it's one of the first products to detect threats when they emerge. Don't worry about keyloggers, this niche software is a bit outdated these days, most AVs will detect and eliminate keyloggers. (y)
1693016904220.png

1693016673415.png

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.