App Review Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool Fun Fact

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
cruelsister

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Thanks for the share, but any particular reason why the previous very sound and fair setting advice from member @harlan4096 was not used/tested? :unsure:

1705758885320-png.281046

This specific settings in KVRT was after years of testing in the Malware Hub found to actually work, and one of the only second opinion scanner ( SOS ) that I ever seen being able to find and remedy actual memory infections. The rest was blind as a bat. About the note how " Extreme " amount of time this tool takes, seems a bit awkward as it shouldn't be a major factor/issue. This is after all a SOS tool and those should be used to investigate and hopefully become aware and learn of what happened. Otherwise I see very little point into use any SOS tool to begin with.

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Thanks for the share, but any particular reason why the previous very sound and fair setting advice from member @harlan4096 was not used/tested?
Actually it was. Notice that K detected one of the malware files in Program Data but did not detect the other. So its not about the location but instead about what form the malware takes.

B-boy/StyLe/

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 10, 2023
Last edited:
Reactions: Nevi and ErzCrz

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
So, why the scanning only shows 1 / 3 tasks in the video? It should show 1 / 5 (3 default + 2 supposed added folders C:\ProgramData + C:\Users\)... 🤔
I guess I should have been clear (for a change). You are correct that the Task number would have been 4. However if KVRT actually finds some malware (which it did), it will reboot and auto-start a verification scan which will scan ALL areas of the system. You can notice that time it took from the video- Start time of the initial scan was 3:29PM, Start time of the verification scan was 3:51PM, finish time was 5:29PM.

So as in this case the entire system was to be scanned anyway there was no need to add any special scan targets as it would be redundant (also further text explanations would make the video length not match that of the song).

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
I don't think so. These screenshots are from my Kaspersky Free?
These settings don't exist in KVRT, just in the real-time scanners, and nonetheless wouldn't aid in any way for this particular malware.

Also note that if K real time (paid or free) was being used, it would be superfluous to also use KVRT for a 2nd opinion as that databases are shared (actually the real time products would have more up to data definitions). If K real time is used perhaps a better 2nd opinion option would be preferred (next week for the final video).

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Still, it should show 1/5, or when ended 5/5 adding the 2 folders I pointed in my previous post...🤔

Adding those 2 folders, agree and probably there are some redundant folders, but not all, and in our testing in Malware Hub, We were able to verify that some risky folders are not scanned in default settings, and active malware in dynamic tests were missed to detect in default settings...

Last edited:

B-boy/StyLe/

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 10, 2023
Adding those 2 folders, agree and probably there are some redundant folders, but not all, and in our testing in Malware Hub, We were able to verify that some risky folders are not scanned in default settings, and active malware in dynamic tests were missed to detect in default settings...
Perhaps it's time for a new version after KVRT 2015 and KVRT 2020 maybe a new build should be released with some bug fixes. But seeing the numeration, probably they will release it next year. :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.