Kaspersly Total Security 2015 review / trial...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raul90

Level 14
Thread author
Feb 5, 2012
Anyone ever tried to do a review of Kaspersky Total Security here...? Seems it's a successor to Kaspersky Pure 3. Seems to be interesting but before I try buying it for a friend I'd like to hear your opinions and how it goes with your system. If anybody is using it at the moment or anyone has tried it out I'd like to ask for the best settings there is for it and how it behaves. I need to know because this friend will be pestering me when something goes wrong ;)

H

hjlbx

Anyone ever tried to do a review of Kaspersky Total Security here...? Seems it's a successor to Kaspersky Pure 3. Seems to be interesting but before I try buying it for a friend I'd like to hear your opinions and how it goes with your system. If anybody is using it at the moment or anyone has tried it out I'd like to ask for the best settings there is for it and how it behaves. I need to know because this friend will be pestering me when something goes wrong ;)

I'm currently using Kaspersky Internet Security. Total Security just adds to KIS' features.

Security is great in Trusted Application Mode with "lock-down" settings, but...

Kaspersky Total Security will not be good choice for someone who does not\cannot fix their own PC issues. KIS, for example, can be fussy on some systems... plus there are GUI bugs in current version. Configuring settings and responding to issues requires more than basic computing knowledge.

With KTS I would think your friend will be pestering you quite a bit...

Much better choice would be Emsisoft Internet Security.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
KIS/KTS can be run well at default settings however the application control tends to be one of the backbone feature if realtime protection capabilities is bypassed then the feature mentioned will be last resort solution and likely not recommended for disabling it.

I think you need to consider straightforward install and forget settings like Norton Internet Security.

H

hjlbx

KIS/KTS can be run well at default settings however the application control tends to be one of the backbone feature if realtime protection capabilities is bypassed then the feature mentioned will be last resort solution and likely not recommended for disabling it.

I think you need to consider straightforward install and forget settings like Norton Internet Security.

I agree with @jamescv7, but would just add this...

Kaspersky's Trusted Application Mode (TAM) at maximum settings will protect the system.

Technical infos:

Basically,

Trusted Application Mode performs a system scan and, after a user review of the scan results, "white-lists" (= Allows) only those applications and scripts on the system that are included in the Kaspersky databases or approved by the user. Any unknown files are by default blocked from start-up unless the user creates an exception allowing the file to run. In other words, TAM "black-lists" all unknown files except unrecognized system critical files (which require user verification and permission to run).

For best security...

The Trusted Application Mode scan must be run on a clean\dis-infected system.
  1. The user must carefully review the TAM scan results to confirm no unwanted\malicious files\scripts are allowed on system.
  2. User must configure Application Control, after the TAM scan, with the following settings:
  • Automatically move unknown applications to "Untrusted."
  • Dis-able "Trust digitally singed applications."
  • Dis-able "Load rules for applications from Kaspersky Security Network (KSN)."
amv43b.png

System "Lock-Down":

Using the above settings will block the installation\execution of any file\script - Trusted, Untrusted and Unknown. The above settings "lock-down" the system. Password protect Kaspersky and no user can install anything except the Kaspersky Administrator.

For best protection, it is recommended that the user completely finalize the custom configuration of their system prior to enabling Trusted Application Mode using maximum settings.

To Install Trustworthy Applications while Trusted Application Mode is Enabled:

To install an application from a well-known, reputable software vendor, enable "Load application rules from Kaspersky Security Network (KSN)." Install the application. Open the app's interface and thoroughly review its functionality and configure its settings and enable components. This step is necessary to activate any modules not automatically loaded during initial installation and, most importantly, permits Kaspersky to create rules for those modules. When finished close the app, then re-disable the "Load application rules from Security Network (KSN)."

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jamescv7

Raul90

Level 14
Thread author
Feb 5, 2012
Thanks for the reply guys I really appreciate this. Actually my friend send me an sms that you have replied here. I have used KIS 2013 and liked it. I still have to download the user guide to read some more.

How about the firewall settings? Any tweaks to that?

I may be considering trying it out first so I can get a good grasp of it. But then again I do not have a license so it'll be just for 30days...anyone has a link for a 60/90day trial..?

Raul90

Level 14
Thread author
Feb 5, 2012
I am currently trying out Pure3.0 (predecessor to Total Security) just for a month to familiarize myself prior trying Kaspersky Total Security 2015 (30days also -- no promo out there :(). So far so good. Been referring to the post here by james / hjlbx /TonyCole as guide. I may post a separate topic when I encounter some issues. Thanks for the help guys. My friend/pal is also appreciative :)

Reactions: jamescv7

soccer97

Level 11
Verified
May 22, 2014
Thanks for the reply guys I really appreciate this. Actually my friend send me an sms that you have replied here. I have used KIS 2013 and liked it. I still have to download the user guide to read some more.

How about the firewall settings? Any tweaks to that?

I may be considering trying it out first so I can get a good grasp of it. But then again I do not have a license so it'll be just for 30days...anyone has a link for a 60/90day trial..?

If you are a member of LinkedIn, they offer a 90 day trial of Kaspersky Internet Security 2015. (The license key only works for KIS 2015, not PURE or KTS)

Go to LinkedIn.com >Login to your account > Help Center > Safety Center > Account Security > Security Products > Click on the Kaspersky Symbol.

Note: This license is tightly controlled. I think it only allows 1 or maybe 2 installs on the same PC only. I had an issue trying to reinstall it on the same PC and had activation issues. They do not provide tech support for trial products.

Reactions: Raul90

Raul90

Level 14
Thread author
Feb 5, 2012
Thanks for the information there soccer97. Will check it out :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.