Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
KB4598291 is a preview update, it is considered optional, and it will not be installed automatically by Windows 10.
To install it manually, you have to open Windows Update and 'Check for updates.' You’ll then find the link to download and install the update by going to the 'Optional updates available' area.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
According to Microsoft, KB4598291 also "addresses an issue in which using local Service for User (S4U) affects Data Protection API (DPAPI) credential keys and causes users to sign out unexpectedly."

The reason behind this issue was discovered by Google vulnerability researcher Tavis Ormandy after discovering that scheduled tasks created with the Task Scheduler's S4U (Services For User) option are to be blamed.

Due to a bug in the RPC UBPM (Unified Background Process Manager), Windows 10 would forget passwords by removing saved credentials in the Local Security Authority Subsystem Service (LSASS).

This causes the affected apps to either lose login state or sign out users out of their accounts after every system restart.

Microsoft first acknowledged the issue causing Outlook and other apps to forget user passwords in a document published on its support website in November 2020.

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
All of a sudden my PC wasn't sleeping anymore either and installing this update hasn't fix it for me :confused:
I had this problem few months ago too and back then a new Windows Update fixed it.
Open CMD as ADM and write:

powercfg -requests

It will list which service is requesting windows to stay awake.
"mousocoreworker.exe" was the responsible now and in the past with windows update problems.
If it's not it, you can try to find the responsible based on the cmd report.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Open CMD as ADM and write:

powercfg -requests

It will list which service is requesting windows to stay awake.
"mousocoreworker.exe" was the responsible now and in the past with windows update problems.
If it's not it, you can try to find the responsible based on the cmd report.
BTW, do you know if sleep and hibernate are connected or not? If I disable hibernate then would that affect the sleep function in any way?
Edit: Never mind. I just checked by myself and disabling hibernate don't affect sleeping. Also last night's Windows update has fixed the sleeping issue also.

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
The February 2021 Security Update Review:
It’s the second Tuesday of the month, and that means the latest security updates from Adobe and Microsoft. Take a break from your regularly scheduled activities and join us as we review the details of their latest security offerings.

Jan Willy

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
Way to go MS...Fix one issue and bork another:rolleyes:
I can't confirm. Never had a problem with the sleep function and the February update went fast and flawless. Possibly is the reason that I keep close to the default system settings and don't experiment (anymore) with all kinds of security -, privacy - and tweaking programs.

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020
I can't confirm. Never had a problem with the sleep function and the February update went fast and flawless. Possibly is the reason that I keep close to the default system settings and don't experiment (anymore) with all kinds of security -, privacy - and tweaking programs.

Just like you, my system is very close to system settings, not installing too much software, just the necessary to work and secure the system.
With the pandemic, my daughter is having classes hover the internet, so I have two systems to keep working without failure I maintain the system with the minimum necessary software.
All Microsoft updates went smooth, but my systems are brand new.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.