Basic Security KP1512's Security Config

kp1512

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 27, 2018
Hi

New user on the site.

I have the above installed and know I have room for improvement so wanted to get peoples opinions

The only other thing I would add to the above is that I have Norton configured so that all applications need permission to access the Internet.

PK

kp1512

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 27, 2018
My advice is to remove Malwarebytes completely, or just disable its real time scanner.
Zemana is fine at the free version, just as a scanner. If well tweaked, Norton+uBlock Origin will give you great protection alone.

Thank you for the input

When you say Tweak - what do you mean? For instance I have disable automatic program in Norton so that any request for launch and internet access needs explicit permission. I have enable all the logical scan options as well and perform daily scans. For uBlock Origin I have installed defaults.

Reactions: brod56

Hector1

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Aug 4, 2015
My advice is to remove Malwarebytes completely, or just disable its real time scanner.
Zemana is fine at the free version, just as a scanner. If well tweaked, Norton+uBlock Origin will give you great protection alone.
I agree, if you want an extra-layer of defense you just can complement with Voodooshield free or OSarmor (when will be in definitive release, it's beta now).

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Thank you for the input

When you say Tweak - what do you mean? For instance I have disable automatic program in Norton so that any request for launch and internet access needs explicit permission. I have enable all the logical scan options as well and perform daily scans. For uBlock Origin I have installed defaults.

Tweaked means playing with the settings until you find the perfect setup for you that enhances the suite protection for yourself. For example, for uBlock Origin I always add hpHosts and disable third-party frames, but for some people it might be overkill.
It is really about doing research and having some fun :)

Reactions: harlan4096

kp1512

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 27, 2018
Spawn / Brod56 - thank you for your input

Ive made some changes and added stuff to my build and updated the above.

I wanted to ask about Voodooshield and general Anti Exe elements

Would adding this be overkill?

Reactions: brod56

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@kp1512: please edit Your config -> On-demand Scanners, and delete there Norton Security Suite, since it not an on demand scanner.

Also You may add as on demand scanners: MalwareBytes Premium, ZAM Free & EmsiSoft Emergency Kit.

Having Norton Security Suite + MalwareBytes for Windows Premium, I think You don't need VodooShield...

Thanks for sharing Your config :)

Reactions: JM Safe and Faybert

kp1512

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 27, 2018
Harlan4096 - thank and done.

I think at this stage then I am covered? Only slight niggle I had was to perhaps use Sandboxie for browsing for ultimate protection?

KP

Reactions: harlan4096

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
The use of Sandboxie is always welcome and interesting, try it if You are able to manage it properly :)

Reactions: JM Safe

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.