laurab config

laurab

Thread author
Jun 11, 2013
My computer has been running slower than usual. I was thinking of doing a re-format, but I am scared of losing things.

Last night "System Care Antivirus" entered my system and I used the first two stages here: http://malwaretips.com/blogs/system-care-antivirus-removal/ to fix the issue. The third program wouldn't download properly.

I am just wondering what sort of software I should download to protect myself from further virus getting into my system?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
If you're having trouble with the self-help guides, I recommend getting assistance here:
https://malwaretips.com/forums/malware-removal-assistance-for-windows.10/
PS: If you're going to reformat and start from scratch, see below.

Welcome. Before downloading and installing more software, I strongly recommend reducing your chances to exploits or other vulnerabilities.

Find out what Windows are you running:
1. Open the Run command (Win key + R)
2. Type "msinfo32" (without quotes) and press the Enter key
3. A 'System Information' window will be displayed with the 'OS Name'.

Backup
Copy all your personal data to an external hard drive, ie. Documents, Music, Videos etc.

Before clean installation:
1. Check you have your OS installation disc on-hand and working.
2. Have your license key ready to activate, after installation.

I would hold off from recommendations, until you know what you're going to do first.

laurab

Thread author
Jun 11, 2013
Thank you. I don't think I'll be reformatting at this stage, as things seem to be running smoothly again.

I was directed to this forum when I wasn't sure of what programs to have installed to protect myself from future malware/viruses.

Any advice? I have Avira at the moment but apparently that's not enough.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
1. Did you find out what OS you have installed (see my previous post)?

2. You mention McAfee and Avira installed, however it's recommended to run only 1 Antivirus software. Since you want to replace Avira, here's a tool to help you remove McAfee.
Click here for the McAfee Removal tool, or direct download link (save to desktop):
Code:
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

3. Clean up your browser plugins and uninstall any you don't need or use.
My recommendations is to uninstall all of the following:
- Adobe Acrobat
- iTunes Application Detector
- Java Deployment Toolkit
- Java(TM) Platform SE
- McAfee Security Scanner
- QuickTime Plug-In
- Shockwave Flash
- Siverlight
- VLC Web Plugin
You can use an uninstaller like IObit Uninstaller (trusted download mirror) to help remove any left-over files or registry keys during standard uninstallation.

5. Are you looking for an Antivirus or Internet Suite? Free or Paid?

Hope this helps a bit. :biggrin:

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Like Earth said in the above post, uninstall a couple of programs. The ones that I have a thing for is Java, any reason for that being installed? Do you game? like Minecraft as that uses Java? Also instead of using Firefox for 64 bit machines, I would recommend swapping to Waterfox. Much more stable for a 64 bit machine.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.