Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuzzfas

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 8, 2013
Hi, this is my first post. I have a suggestion.
IMHO, the forum is too fragmented. Make a subsection for antivirus, one for firewalls, one for HIPS, one for virtualization. The way you have it now, it's like if every product has a barrier separating it from users of another product. This "isolation", doesn't attract people IMHO. If you had a flood of posts everyday about each product, i could undestand the need for separation, given the volume of posts. But now?

The same goes for Software section. 3D and graphics has a separate forum? Why? How many do you expect to come and post about it? Simply, the few who want, take a look, see a "dead" forum and go search for another forum.
By allowing people to "mingle" in different subjects, you attract more users. Same for other sections. "Audio,video, etc". Seriously? How many people in a forum for MALWARE, do you expect to go post in there? Simply, if i was in deed interested in audio,video and saw that it's "dead", i 'd simply go to hydrogen audio and doom9, who are dedicated fora.

What i m saying, is that you 're trying to make it "Jack of all trades and master of none", the end result being, killing the potential of this forum.

Same goes for "Hardware discussions and hardware showcase". If you were a hardware enthusiast forum, i 'd understand, that given the volume of posts that flood your forum about hardware, you 'd want to make a "hardware showcase" separate forum. Again, in a MALWARE forum, how many people do you expect to go "showcase" their hardware in a near-empty forum?

This is one of the most under-exploited fora i 've seen due to the bad layout.

I hope i didn't offend anyone, just trying to help.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I'm glad that you've posted this and we will take this into consideration.

Fuzzfas

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 8, 2013
Earth said:
I'm glad that you've posted this and we will take this into consideration.

Since we 're at it, the Software section. I 'd limit it to:

- Windows software.
- Linux forum

If you really like separation, add a "Windows OS and help forum".

To the security forum aside what i said, i 'd add:

- Virtualization, imaging and recovery forum. With time, if you see that you get too many posts, separate the virtualization.

A more compact forum, bring people currently "isolated" in subsections together. When they get together, the forum sections have more activity. More activity, means someone who visits the forum, sees an active forum and chances are he will partecipate. Also, one may take interest in things he previously didn't know about or care, if he reads a forum section with things he is interested in.

D

Deleted member 178

Fuzzfas said:
What i m saying, is that you 're trying to make it "Jack of all trades ",

Guess what, our Community Admin is named Jack... :p

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Currently I personally think that the forum looks good. Covers all aspects of products, from Security Software to normal house hold Office Software.

Welcome to MalwareTips by the way. :)

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
Thank you for your suggestions, we will definitely take them into consideration.

Welcome to MalwareTips by the way! :)

D

Deleted member 178

Fuzzfas said:
Hi, this is my first post. I have a suggestion.
IMHO, the forum is too fragmented. Make a subsection for antivirus, one for firewalls, one for HIPS, one for virtualization. The way you have it now, it's like if every product has a barrier separating it from users of another product. This "isolation", doesn't attract people IMHO.

Subsection are for visitors' clarity; here we post guides, updates and reviews about many products, mixing all of them by features as you suggested will be terrible to find a specific product article. I dont see how it isolate people, most visitors are not fanboys reading just their beloved products and nothing else. our most popular section is the "war room".where they can exchange opinions and ideas. Not to say we don't want be a clone of Wilders (i find it very messy)

The same goes for Software section. 3D and graphics has a separate forum? Why? How many do you expect to come and post about it? Simply, the few who want, take a look, see a "dead" forum and go search for another forum.
By allowing people to "mingle" in different subjects, you attract more users. Same for other sections. "Audio,video, etc". Seriously? How many people in a forum for MALWARE, do you expect to go post in there? Simply, if i was in deed interested in audio,video and saw that it's "dead", i 'd simply go to hydrogen audio and doom9, who are dedicated fora.

people really interested by audio/video will not come here anyway, those sections are for security-oriented visitors who are also interested by other topics.

What i m saying, is that you 're trying to make it "Jack of all trades and master of none", the end result being, killing the potential of this forum.

what attracts people here is not the layout/sections but the contents and valuable infos/help posted by the members.

Same goes for "Hardware discussions and hardware showcase". If you were a hardware enthusiast forum, i 'd understand, that given the volume of posts that flood your forum about hardware, you 'd want to make a "hardware showcase" separate forum. Again, in a MALWARE forum, how many people do you expect to go "showcase" their hardware in a near-empty forum?

We have some and i don't think they will regret to post there :D

This is one of the most under-exploited fora i 've seen due to the bad layout.

we just upgraded to a new server due to an high increase of traffic, you should stay a while here and then see.

I hope i didn't offend anyone, just trying to help.

Not at all, Thanks :D

Fuzzfas

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 8, 2013
Thank you for the reply, it's a logical explanation (which i imagined too). If the current layout works well, then all the better for the forum. It becomes subjective after a point.

Thank you all.

D

Deleted member 178

You are welcome, Fuzzfas

You can start your own thread here : http://malwaretips.com/Forum-Security-Configuration-Wizard

We will appreciate to know and learn about your security configuration, there we may give you advices or get your feedbacks about the security solutions you like to use.

Thanks to joined us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.