Always notify
Real-time security
Manjaro: Sophos free (on access)
Windows: Windows Defender
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
About custom security
Manjaro:
- TimeShift (monthly increemental backup)
- Gufw firewall (blocking inbound only)
- Firejail sandbox (using default profiles)
- Sophos free Antivius (on access scan)

Windows10 Pro
- Windows image backup (monthly backup)
- Windows Firewall (blocking inbound only)
- Hard_Configurator (easier than secpol) only blocking dangereous file extensions (not exe, msi, msu, msp, tmp)
- Windows Defender (with ConfigureDefender on HIGH)
- WD Exploit Protection: enabled Code Integrity Guard and Validate Image Dependency Integrity for Microsoft medium integrity desktop applications (write, office programs, edge-chromium and explorer )
Periodic malware scanners
Antivirus
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Manjaro: Chromium
Windows Edge-chromium
Maintenance tools
Bleachbit (Manjaro), CleanMgr (Windows)
File and Photo backup
SyncbackFree
System recovery
Manjaro: TimeShifty
Windows: Build-in
Risk factors
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
    • Working from home
Computer specs
Intel core i7 950 with 8 GB Ram and 2 SSD's and 1 2TB Harddisk
Notable changes
Removed Opera from Windows, using two profile Edge-Chromium now with Buller VPN on demand

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Admin elevation requires password (on Manjaro and Windows10).

It is possible to enter Linux and Windows as operating systems, but for firewall I can't enter both (that is why I selected third-party). Improvement suggestion for 2020, instead of drop down selection list show multiple select (similar to Operating System and Device Security).

Programming is developing websites with a content management systems (so no real programming) like Wordrpess, Joomla and Drupal

Last edited:

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
@Lenny_Linux: is this the same system than this: SECURE: Complete - Lenny Linux Manjaro Setup laptop 2019

A PassWord Manager would be welcome, thanks for sharing :)

Yes, but for 2020, thought it would be fun to be the first, hope you don't mind.

I always use long password phrases which I try to associate with the website I am logging in to. My father claims that the use of smart-IT has reduced people's ability to calculate by head and remember phone numbers and birth days. He even refuses to use a navigation. When he went to Costa Rica on holiday he stared to study Spanish in stead (to ask direction when he might got lost). He sort of influenced me and probably is the reason I am not using a password manager.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Would I be interested to know if your passwords are contained in a Dutch or English dictionary?
Depends on the association I have with the website. For instance malware tips, looks like a website were one get tips on malware. But what tips on 'how to prevent them' or 'how to download them' or 'how to use them in malware kits'? I also read that Jack was the guy who launched this forum.

Confusion and Jack resulted to my first password for MalwareTips: ShouldIStay0rHitTheRoadJack (a combination of two songs 'should I stay or should I go' and 'hit the road jack').

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 823865

i wrote a guide to create complex but easy to remember password without using password managers.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
@shmu26

I am using XFCE, but that is not based on preference. I just followed the advice to use XFCE for old hardware.

Enjoy new years evening (which we call old years evening in Holland :) )
Thanks
Do you find the new version of Xfce to be more of a memory hog than the old Gtk2-based version? When I updated from MX Linux 18 to MX Linux 19, with the Xfce desktop, my RAM usage at idle jumped up about 500 MB.

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Thanks
Do you find the new version of Xfce to be more of a memory hog than the old Gtk2-based version? When I updated from MX Linux 18 to MX Linux 19, with the Xfce desktop, my RAM usage at idle jumped up about 500 MB.
Version 18 is better, I updated version 19 and saw a series of errors, which made me go back to version 18, luckily I had a copy of MX Linux 18.(y)

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Thanks
When I bought this second hand laptop I was lucky to find a 2GB memory module in that store, so I have 4 GB RAM, so had not noticed the increase of memory usage. With Sophos AV my Manjaro XFCE memory idles around 600-640 MB.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
When I bought this second hand laptop I was lucky to find a 2GB memory module in that store, so I have 4 GB RAM, so had not noticed the increase of memory usage. With Sophos AV my Manjaro XFCE memory idles around 600-640 MB.
That's not bad. Does Sophos AV provide active (real-time) protection for linux? How do you like it, and why do you need it? I am not familiar with active AV protection for linux.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Playing with free SpyShelter HIPS + Firewall. No experience with HIPS. As far as I know side-by-side infection can't be prevented anymore since Microsoft introduced kernel patch protection (the Intergrity levels mechanism protects higher level processes from lower level processes since Vista). When I understand this correctly this means that a HIPS (with elevated or driver level rights)can [only?] effectively prevent intrusions of medium and low/untriusted level processes.

When I understand correctly Spyshelter only monitors processes in user space. Opera is installed in my AppData user folder.

1579539340669.png

I am hoping this setup creates an extra safety net around Opera and a second line of defense behind Windows Defender's HIGH blocking of most unknown processes in user folders. Excluding UAC protected (safe) folders from HIPS and Firewall is done intentionally (because I never have used a HIPS before).

P.S. Before installing SpyShelter I have Googled the effect of the HIPS rules enabled in the free version. I have don't have early launch enabled and have kept the "Allow terminating spyshelter via task manager", so in the unlikely event SpyShelter blocks something critical, I can disable it. I have set Spyshelter to auto allow Microsoft signed processes.

Again, repeating myself, when I understand the Googled- stuf correctly in modern OS-ses a HIPS can't block attacks from elevated processes, so I intentionally use SpyShelter for medium level intrusions. I have set UAC to block elevation of unsigned processes as a backup.

I expect problems with Opera update, but it is my secondary browser (for dodgy browsing only :) )

Last edited:

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
@ichito Would you have a look at my SpyShelter rules (picture above).

I only want to monitor Opera with the HIPS and be informed when a program other than Microsoft signed does something what triggers the HIPS or the Firewall.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Major overhaul of browser and extensions on Windows10: Using Edge-chromium to brows websites from bookmarks, using Opera to surf the web

On Windows10 - Edge-chromium (set for security and compatinility)
- Disabled saving history (GPO)
- Delete all on exit except Browsing History and Site Permissions
- Most site permissions on default (except javascript blocked with allow for HTTPS://*)
- Smartscreen and Tracking Protection on (default)
- Locked Edge-chromium with group policy settings (e.g. only whitelist 1 extension)
- only 1 extension: New Tab Page - Blank

On Opera running --private (set for security and privacy)
- VPN always ON with WebRTC hidden (with search engine DuckDuckGo)
- Language US only and Opera flag Chromium User Agent enabled
- Bank new tab using Opera's build-in settings
- Most site permissions on block (also javascript with allow for HTTPS://*)
- Extensions a lot (thanks to @Sampei Nihira 's link to Ikea.com added fingerprinting protection :))
a) Bookmarks (I prefer Edge style bookmark drop down menu over favorite's bar)
b) Bypass paywalls (locally side loaded)
c) AudioContext Fingerprint Defender
d) Canvas Fingerprint Defender
e) Font Fingerprint Defender
f) WebGL Fingerprint Defender
g) AdGuard with Peter Low's blocklist, stealth enabled and user rules made with Adguard's point and click "Block ads on this website" rules creator

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.