Battle LiberKey and PortableApps.com Launcher, which is better?

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Please tell me of your experiences with these programs, especially if you have had both. I want to know if the program is prone to giving unexpected usability issues. In particular I am interested in knowing about the ease of using the platform to update programs.

Would it be worthwhile to have both of them?

Reactions: Technozz and AtlBo

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Please tell me of your experiences with these programs, especially if you have had both. I want to know if the program is prone to giving unexpected usability issues. In particular I am interested in knowing about the ease of using the platform to update programs.

Can't speak for Liberkey, but I like the PortableApps program. One click updating. It looks for updates every time the launcher is opened and lets you know which apps have been updated. You can choose which ones to update or just update them all in one click. Can't say enough about how much I have liked using the app.

One thing. If you will be placing the apps on a remote drive as is normal or a thumb drive, the program will change the name of the drive and the icon. If I recall there is a way to revert the change. If there is a desktop.ini folder in the drive's contents or an autorun.inf file look at those. If they contain a reference to PortableApps delete the file, and the system will remake it. If there isn't a reference, I believe there is a Desktop.ini file in the PortableApps main folder. Copy that and try deleting it to see if that fixes the drive name/icon back to default. May have to reboot to see the change.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.