Question Librewolf Cache Location?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

snadge

Thread author
Jun 15, 2020
Hi,

I would like to know if anyone can tell me the location of the LibreWolf cache in win 10x64..?
So I can add it to my cleaning app to wiped clean

I understand it deletes on exit, but this is not a secure "wipe" - a hacker can 'undelete' my cache n cookies! As any PC expert will tell you, files deleted aren't. They are simply marked to be written over in the Master File Table (MFT) "at some point" and that can take a while depending on the size and free space of the drive, and mine is always 80% empty, so its unlikely to be over-written for a while with wear levelling... yes it's an SSD, but I don't care about write wear down.

Also, I use SSD (system) and HDD's (storage) - can the cache be moved to another drive off the system SSD?

thanks in advance

snadge

Thread author
Jun 15, 2020
Thanks for the swift reply...

I will have a look, I used to use "RAM based caches" using a 3rd party tool years back! - it would save it to disk then at boot, load it up into ram (portable browser + cache) - but the saving to disk defeats the purpose, so I stopped using it - but thanks I will have a gander at that link, I just want to be able to ensure my data is completely gone (wiped) - I practice & study a lot of Opsec and Osint - I do nothing illegal, but have everything to protect, and like to keep telemetry etc off, and 'temp data' over-written. Hardened browsers, Comodo firewall on custom ruleset and then some...

cheers

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Thanks for the swift reply...

I will have a look, I used to use "RAM based caches" using a 3rd party tool years back! - it would save it to disk then at boot, load it up into ram (portable browser + cache) - but the saving to disk defeats the purpose, so I stopped using it - but thanks I will have a gander at that link, I just want to be able to ensure my data is completely gone (wiped) - I practice & study a lot of Opsec and Osint - I do nothing illegal, but have everything to protect, and like to keep telemetry etc off, and 'temp data' over-written. Hardened browsers, Comodo firewall on custom ruleset and then some...

cheers

I got the settings from reddit long time back. I just checked the reddit link below and found the settings inside already deletd

Set Firefox only on RAM (check using about:cache)

("browser.cache.disk.enable", false); Make FF not to cache data to disk. This is to make sure no shadow copies of your browsing info exist on your device

("browser.cache.memory.enable", true); Make FF cache data to RAM memory

("browser.cache.memory.capacity", 204800 in KB); Default is “-1” to allow dynamic allocation of available RAM

("browser.cache.offline.enable", false); Make FF not to cache any data for offline use

("browser.cache.disk_cache_ssl", false); Make FF not to have separate cache setting for secure websites

("browser.cache.disk.capacity", 0);

("browser.cache.disk.smart_size.enabled", false);

("browser.cache.disk.smart_size.first_run", false);

("browser.cache.disk.smart_size.use_old_max", false);

("browser.cache.offline.capacity", 0);

("browser.cache.memory.max_entry_size", -1);

Not sure whether the settings are still in existence. Hopefully, they work similarly in Librewolf

Last edited:

snadge

Thread author
Jun 15, 2020
I got the settings from reddit long time back. I just checked the reddit link below and found the settings inside already deletd

Set Firefox only on RAM (check using about:cache)

("browser.cache.disk.enable", false); Make FF not to cache data to disk. This is to make sure no shadow copies of your browsing info exist on your device

("browser.cache.memory.enable", true); Make FF cache data to RAM memory

("browser.cache.memory.capacity", 204800 in KB); Default is “-1” to allow dynamic allocation of available RAM

("browser.cache.offline.enable", false); Make FF not to cache any data for offline use

("browser.cache.disk_cache_ssl", false); Make FF not to have separate cache setting for secure websites

("browser.cache.disk.capacity", 0);

("browser.cache.disk.smart_size.enabled", false);

("browser.cache.disk.smart_size.first_run", false);

("browser.cache.disk.smart_size.use_old_max", false);

("browser.cache.offline.capacity", 0);

("browser.cache.memory.max_entry_size", -1);

Not sure whether the settings are still in existence. Hopefully, they work similarly in Librewolf

Many thanks for all the hardening advice - I will try them out and compare them to the tech lore (YT) list, he has a video and link to page with a lot of them, I have done them all in FF, but yet to check them in LW

cheers

EDIT: the setting:

would that not be safer left ON? Putting all secure websites into the same 'cache' doesn't sound appealing?
- I also use containers for tabs… I have my regular sites open in separate containers, especially for certain accounts, like google, YouTube, Banking, Shopping

EDIT 2: YES..some of those settings are not set in LW, so I changed them, and it seems much faster, although for now i left the "browser.cache.disk_cache_ssl" to True until I find out more about that

Last edited:
Reactions: HarborFront

snadge

Thread author
Jun 15, 2020
hmm may have to reset it as its seemingly playing up here making me double post now?? as my first reply disappeared on refresh logged in and out, so I login and post a 2nd reply and BANG theres the reply above?? lol :)

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
but the saving to disk defeats the purpose
Then do not? You can start with a fresh cache every time you boot. Still, in case of an emergency, you can simply hit reset and PC will load the last save at boot.
I move the whole browser's profiles to ramdisk, since there is much more than just a cache. It is also useful as a backup for settings/flags. Creds are not saved.
Code:
rd "Z:\Brave" /s /q
taskkill /im brave.exe /f
takeown /s %computername% /u %username% /f "%LocalAppData%\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data" /r /d y
xcopy "D:\OneDrive\Soft\Brave" "Z:\Brave" /s /i /y
rd "%LocalAppData%\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data" /s /q
mklink /d "%LocalAppData%\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data" "Z:\Brave"

rd "Z:\Edge" /s /q
taskkill /im msedge.exe /f
takeown /s %computername% /u %username% /f "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge" /r /d y
xcopy "D:\OneDrive\Soft\Edge" "Z:\Edge" /s /i /y
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge" /s /q
mklink /d "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge" "Z:\Edge"

rd "Z:\librewolf" /s /q
taskkill /im librewolf.exe /f
takeown /s %computername% /u %username% /f "%AppData%\Librewolf" /r /d y
xcopy "D:\OneDrive\Soft\Librewolf" "Z:\Librewolf" /s /i /y
rd "%AppData%\Librewolf" /s /q
mklink /d "%AppData%\Librewolf" "Z:\Librewolf"
I cleanup using cookieautodelete + clean at browser's exit + wise disk cleaner + plus manual cleanup. I use mostly Edge, but you can tinker with LW as well.
Code:
start "" /wait "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Wise\Wise Disk Cleaner\WiseDiskCleaner.exe" -a

rem Clean caches and cookies (not covered by CookieAutodelete, since the browser is running) - edge://settings/siteData
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\*history*." /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Custom Dictionary.txt" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\DashTrackerDatabase" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\DIPS" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\DIPS-journal" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\HubApps" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\HubApps Icons" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\HubApps Icons-journal" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\LOG" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\LOG.old" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Network Action Predictor" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Network Action Predictor-journal" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Network Persistent State" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\PreferredApps" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Reporting and NEL" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Reporting and NEL-journal" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\QuotaManager" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\QuotaManager-journal" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Shortcuts" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Shortcuts-journal" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Top Sites" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Top Sites-journal" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Visited Links" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Vpn Tokens" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\WebAssistDatabase" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\WebAssistDatabase-journal" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Web Data" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Web Data-journal" /s /f /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Asset Store" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\EdgePushStorageWithConnectTokenAndKey" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\AssistanceHome" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\blob_storage" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\BudgetDatabase" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Cache" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Code Cache" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Collections" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\commerce_subscription_db" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Continuous Migration" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\coupon_db" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\databases" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\DawnCache" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Download Service" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\EdgeCoupons" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\EdgeEDrop" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\EdgeTravel" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\EntityExtraction" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Feature Engagement Tracker" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\GPUCache" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\IndexedDB" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\JumpListIconsRecentClosed" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\JumpListIconsRecentWorkspacesV2" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\JumpListIconsTopSites" /s /q
rem rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Local Storage" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\MediaFoundationCdmStore" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Nurturing" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\optimization_guide_hint_cache_store" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\optimization_guide_model_metadata_store" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Password_Diagnostics" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Pdf" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\PDF Restore Data" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Platform Notifications" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Safe Browsing Network" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Segmentation Platform" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\SemanticEncoder.db" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Service Worker" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Session Storage" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\shared_proto_db" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Site Characteristics Database" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\VideoDecodeStats" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\WebrtcVideoStats" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\WebStorage" /s /q

Last edited:

snadge

Thread author
Jun 15, 2020
Then do not? You can start with a fresh cache every time you boot. Still, in case of an emergency, you can simply hit reset and PC will load the last save at boot.
I move the whole browser's profiles to ramdisk, since there is much more than just a cache. It is also useful as a backup for settings/flags. Creds are not saved.
Code:
rd "Z:\Brave" /s /q
taskkill /im brave.exe /f
takeown /s %computername% /u %username% /f "%LocalAppData%\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data" /r /d y
xcopy "D:\OneDrive\Soft\Brave" "Z:\Brave" /s /i /y
rd "%LocalAppData%\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data" /s /q
mklink /d "%LocalAppData%\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data" "Z:\Brave"

rd "Z:\Edge" /s /q
taskkill /im msedge.exe /f
takeown /s %computername% /u %username% /f "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge" /r /d y
xcopy "D:\OneDrive\Soft\Edge" "Z:\Edge" /s /i /y
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge" /s /q
mklink /d "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge" "Z:\Edge"

rd "Z:\librewolf" /s /q
taskkill /im librewolf.exe /f
takeown /s %computername% /u %username% /f "%AppData%\Librewolf" /r /d y
xcopy "D:\OneDrive\Soft\Librewolf" "Z:\Librewolf" /s /i /y
rd "%AppData%\Librewolf" /s /q
mklink /d "%AppData%\Librewolf" "Z:\Librewolf"
I cleanup using cookieautodelete + clean at browser's exit + wise disk cleaner + plus manual cleanup. I use mostly Edge, but you can tinker with LW as well.
Code:
start "" /wait "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Wise\Wise Disk Cleaner\WiseDiskCleaner.exe" -a

rem Clean caches and cookies (not covered by CookieAutodelete, since the browser is running) - edge://settings/siteData
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\*history*." /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Custom Dictionary.txt" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\DashTrackerDatabase" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\DIPS" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\DIPS-journal" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\HubApps" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\HubApps Icons" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\HubApps Icons-journal" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\LOG" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\LOG.old" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Network Action Predictor" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Network Action Predictor-journal" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Network Persistent State" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\PreferredApps" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Reporting and NEL" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Reporting and NEL-journal" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\QuotaManager" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\QuotaManager-journal" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Shortcuts" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Shortcuts-journal" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Top Sites" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Top Sites-journal" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Visited Links" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Vpn Tokens" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\WebAssistDatabase" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\WebAssistDatabase-journal" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Web Data" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Web Data-journal" /s /f /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Asset Store" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\EdgePushStorageWithConnectTokenAndKey" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\AssistanceHome" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\blob_storage" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\BudgetDatabase" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Cache" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Code Cache" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Collections" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\commerce_subscription_db" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Continuous Migration" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\coupon_db" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\databases" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\DawnCache" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Download Service" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\EdgeCoupons" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\EdgeEDrop" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\EdgeTravel" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\EntityExtraction" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Feature Engagement Tracker" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\GPUCache" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\IndexedDB" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\JumpListIconsRecentClosed" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\JumpListIconsRecentWorkspacesV2" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\JumpListIconsTopSites" /s /q
rem rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Local Storage" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\MediaFoundationCdmStore" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Nurturing" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\optimization_guide_hint_cache_store" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\optimization_guide_model_metadata_store" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Password_Diagnostics" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Pdf" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\PDF Restore Data" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Platform Notifications" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Safe Browsing Network" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Segmentation Platform" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\SemanticEncoder.db" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Service Worker" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Session Storage" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\shared_proto_db" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Site Characteristics Database" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\VideoDecodeStats" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\WebrtcVideoStats" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\WebStorage" /s /q
Many Thanks. Very helpful.

I think I will move back to "RAM Browser and Cache" - it was much faster too, but this was before SSD's, and during the days of xDSL broadband (Windows XP/7).
I use also use D.O.H (DNS-over-HTTPS = browser only) or D.O.T (DNS over TLS = system wide) on Quad9 - but usually the first.

cheers for the code :)

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.