librewolf, mullvad , tor
Platform(s)
  1. Microsoft Windows

Alexai

Level 3
Thread author
Aug 12, 2023
Hi,

ok, there are similarities between Librewolf and Mullvad, and then between Mullvad and Tor.
So, what can you tell me?

Reactions: Andrew999

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Hello!

Librewolf, Mullvad Browser, and Tor Browser are all privacy-focused web browsers that prioritize user security and anonymity. Here are some key points about each browser:

1. **Librewolf**:
- Librewolf is a fork of Firefox that focuses on privacy, security, and user freedom.
- It includes built-in privacy features like enhanced tracking protection, fingerprinting protection, and more.
- Librewolf aims to provide a more privacy-friendly browsing experience compared to mainstream browsers like Chrome or Firefox.

2. **Mullvad Browser**:
- Mullvad Browser is a privacy-focused browser developed by the team behind the Mullvad VPN service.
- It is based on Firefox and includes similar privacy features like tracking protection and fingerprinting resistance.
- Mullvad Browser integrates seamlessly with the Mullvad VPN service for enhanced privacy and security while browsing.

3. **Tor Browser**:
- Tor Browser is a specialized web browser that routes your internet traffic through the Tor network, which anonymizes your online activity.
- It includes features like NoScript for blocking scripts, HTTPS Everywhere for secure connections, and a built-in onion service for accessing .onion websites.
- Tor Browser is designed to protect your privacy and anonymity online by preventing websites from tracking your browsing habits.

While all three browsers share a focus on privacy and security, they have different approaches to achieving these goals. Librewolf and Mullvad Browser are based on Firefox and offer enhanced privacy features, while Tor Browser provides anonymity through the Tor network. The choice of browser depends on your specific privacy needs and preferences.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
The Tor Browser is designed to provided anonymity and should be used as such. Using it for casual browsing is essentially a non-starter, as it's extremely slow and a lot of websites treat Tor traffic as inherently malicious.

Mullvad Browser is a version of the Tor Browser that doesn't connect to the Tor network. It's developed by the Tor Project themselves, designed to be used with a VPN, and gives VPN users the Tor Browser's anti-fingerprinting protections. Obviously it can used it without a VPN as well; it provides the same protections regardless, but not doing so means your IP address will be a trackable attribute.

As for LibreWolf, I don't know all that much about it, besides it being a privacy-enhanced version of Firefox. I also don't know what it offers over applying a privacy-enhancing template to Firefox itself.

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
I'm not voting on what's best, but just maybe experience and preference.
I remember a mod on the Bitdefender forum got banned one Saturday morning. We found out he was using Tor and tried to log and the forum (security/spamming) software banned him.

I tried the Mullvad browser, but I would rather use a full-fledged browser with my VPN, where my Password Manager, AV secure browsing, and my other extensions work and are compatible.

Last edited:

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I agree with @TairkuOkmi. I do use Mullvad browser on my iphone for somethings, but I find Mullvad on my windows desktop problematic, ie, not ready for primetime. For anonymity I use Tor but mostly on a Linux VM. I do use Librewolf on windows, it works fine, but more often use Firefox with tweaks and suggestions posted on MT. @oldschool is knowledgeable about hardening Firefox IMO.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I am using Librewolf more the past several days in win10_vm. I like no telemetry. Question: what extensions, IF ANY, is anyone adding to Librewolf, or is it best to run it as it comes with only ubo pre-installed :unsure:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Librewolf browser is hardened FF OOB. It is a de-Mozilla browser

Mullvad browser, also a hardened browser, works best with Mullvad VPN. It starts off in Incognito mode. FI, there are some good security/privacy settings in Mullvad browser (from github website) that can be applied to FF. There's no mention that it is a de-Mozilla browser

Just note these 2 browsers are niche browsers. Some websites may not work. And extensions are not recommended to use. Also, speed tweaks may need to be applied to them since they are just security and privacy conscious browsers

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
These 2 links explain the differences between LW vs Mullvad Browser

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Making Outgoing Connections - LW vs Mullvad Browser

LW

Does LibreWolf make any outgoing connections?#

Yes, but they aren't in any way privacy invading and they were carefully evaluated. Specifically they are needed to fetch and update the blocking lists used by uBO, Tracking Protection and certificate revocation, which we considered more important than disabling all outgoing connections, especially ones that are harmless. LibreWolf also maintains an open WebSocket towards Mozilla's push server to check wether you have received push notifications from websites you have subscribed to.

With that being said, LibreWolf is still committed to removing all privacy invading connections, and to keep all connections to the bare minimum required to maximize and balance privacy and security.

Unquote

Mullvad Browser

Does Mullvad Browser make any outgoing connections?

Yes, here are the full list of requests Mullvad Browser makes by default:
  • Browser update (Mullvad)
  • Mullvad Browser Extension update (Mullvad)
  • Mullvad DoH (Mullvad)
  • NoScript/Ublock Origin update (Mozilla)
  • Certificates & Domains update (Mozilla)
  • Ublock Origin filter lists update (various lists)
Unquote

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.